Monday, July 7, 2014

Over the Moon: The Wicked Wolf

awesome pix that I found in some FB page, I think the name below it it´s the name of the artist...a very talented one based on this pix

Over the next couple of weeks Olivia and Alejandro walked together whenever they had closing shift together and whenever they went home. During those two weeks Olivia started to feel less concerned about the incident that chief of police had assured they were investigating and taking care of.

Olivia was glad that she´d started to be friends with Alejandro since she didn’t know anybody in town and it was nice to have someone to walk with on the way home, to sit with when they found each other in the bus and to talk about nothing in particular.

Like Alejandro had said, there wasn’t much to see in the small town or any worthy attraction unless you were into hunting, hiking and fishing but Olivia had no interest in getting in the woods. It really didn’t matter though; Olivia entertained herself in gardening, something she had never done but the big garden of the old Belcourt house was in desperate need of fixing after years and years of being neglected. Ale had helped her to get rid of the tall grass that covered most of the back yard and didn’t let go through it to the rotten once white fence.

On one of her days off Olivia had been doing her best to weed the places where Ale hadn’t reached with his tools. She’d been emptying the pots of dead plants and put in the garbage the ones that had broken. That day, after lunch and once Ale was out of his shift they´d go shopping for seeds and a shovel, some fertilizer for the soil.

Neither of them knew much about gardening which was why Olivia had bought a book about it and once they went to the store she got a few things that it recommended. Olivia was asking Ale to help her turn the hard soil in her garden when she saw a man sitting on her porch. She froze. The man quickly looked up and aggression was plain on his face as he registered the man next to Oli. In quick strides he came closer as Oli frantically dialed the chief of police´s number that she´d memorized.

“Help! –She said to the phone- this is Olivia Ventura from the Belcourt house. The man I reported is back” she cried as Ale dropped the bag he was carrying on his side and stepped in front of her with the shovel as a shield
“I´m sending a patrol this second” the chief said

“Get away from her, Carbonell” the long haired-man snarled
“Back off, Daniel –Ale scoffed- don’t you see she´s terrified? She just called for help”
“Do you know him?” Oli gasped hiding behind Ale
“His brother´s my sister´s boyfriend” Alejandro rolled his eyes and right then a police patrol appeared; two officers came out of it, including chief Covin.
“These cops are efficient” Oli thought a little relieved.

“Daniel, back off!” Chief Covin commanded the young man. The man stood rigidly then, his hands into fists at his sides, he was still glaring at Alejandro through his lashes. Covin made a sign to the other officer who went to get Daniel but he reacted so fast that the officer ended up pinned under him. Oli let out a squeal.

“Daniel! Leave Bailey alone –Covin growled and the young man obeyed, letting go of the officer- don’t you see you´re scaring her” Covin shook his head and the young man focused on Olivia behind Ale and made a frustrated sound with his nose.

“Alejandro, you can go home –Covin said- it might help matters” he continued with a meaningful look that didn’t go unnoticed by Olivia. She instinctively grabbed Ale´s arm and Daniel dropped to the floor as if in sudden pain.
“Great” Ale said exasperated as Oli still held onto his arm and hid her face on his shoulder as the snapping sounds reminded her too much of that night when she´d been kidnapped
“Alejandro, please…” Is the chief of police pleading to an 18 year old, Oli thought for a second being distracted of the sounds of pain Daniel was making.
“Oli –Alejandro said as he adjusted his glasses- you´ll be fine. I promise. Daniel won´t hurt you, he´s like… like an ugly huge puppy” he said with some sarcasm laced in his voice as he looked back Oli stole a glance to where the convulsing man had been to only find out the huge dog snarling. She grabbed Ale´s arm tighter

“I won´t go if you don’t want though” ale leaned down to see into Oli´s frightened eyes; at this the dog leaped and knocked Ale to the ground sending his glasses away. The police officers came closer as Covin produced a gun.
“Stop!” Oli found her voice when the dog was about to bite Alejandro´s arm. To her surprise the dog stopped, allowing Alejandro to get up. The dog whined as if he´d been hit.

“See, like a puppy”Ale said sarcastically and the dog bared his teeth at him
“It almost bites you!” Oli gasped
“And it would have if you hadn’t stopped him”
“That animal´s not mine!” Oli made a disgusted face and the dog whined low
“Yes, it is –Ale rolled his eyes- I can assure you he’ll do anything you want”
“…Leave me alone?” Oli glanced from Ale to the dog that whined again and lowered himself until his belly touched the ground and he even looked dead. Alejandro laughed out loud
“Oli –Alejandro grabbed her shoulders and the dog snarled going back to standing position- I better let chief Covin to tell you what´s wrong with his nephew”
“Nephew?!” Olivia gasped horrified glancing at the chief
“I promise you´ll be fine… tell him –Ale nodded to the dog- to roll and he will, trust me” Ale promised and Oli shook her head
“What´s going on here?” her voice strangled and scared
“I can explain it Miss Ventura –Covin spoke up- but it´s better for Alejandro´s safety if he leaves. I´ll shoot the wolf if it goes violent”
“You didn’t do it before” Oli said not believing
“I´m a police officer, I will protect you” he promised, she nodded. Ale waved goodbye
“Damn dog” Ale muttered and said dog barked startling Oli

“Miss Ventura, why don’t we get inside…”Covin said with patient voice
“No way, none of your or your dog will get in my house…and you… you should be looking for your creeper nephew, you let him go away” she said angrily
“My …nephew is right there” Covin motioned towards the massive light brown dog with amber eyes
“Are you out of your mind?” Oli shrieked
“Daniel shift back –chief Covin commanded. The dog whined and lowered himself until his belly touched the ground- you got yourself in it now do it!” the man said with commanding voice. The dog rolled showing its back to them and like before it started to whine and growl and shake violently

“Is it ok?” Olivia couldn’t watch; it was lie it was dying
“He is, sort of” the chief said and Oli opened her eyes to make sure but as she did her eyes caught sight of a human male gasping for air on his knees and hands where the dog had been
“What the…?!” she gasped, her legs trembled
“Miss Ventura, that idiot is my…nephew, Daniel Covin –the chief explained as the other officer brought a blanket to cover the naked young man- he´d come to apologize for his past actions and to explain what happened but clearly it´s too difficult for him so I´ll do it”

“He was the dog” was the only thing Oli could say. Now she totally got why her grandma hated that place, maybe she´d been kidnapped too.
“Yeah, well, he was, is a wolf, as shifter –the chief scratched his cheek- he´s not violent, usually, but –he inhaled deeply- he´s recognized you as his mate so he feels very aggressive towards other males…”
“I´m not associated to him in any way!” Oli exclaimed. Daniel´s expression fell
“Miss Ventura –Covin spoke with placating voice- do you know anything about wolves?”
“What? Well, for starters they´re animals –she said with emphasis- not humans…”
“This one´s a werewolf” Covin motion to Daniel
“Is he like trying to bite me to turn me or something?” Oli covered her neck scared
“No, that´s not how it works, even if he bit you which he won’t you wouldn’t turn into a shifter but …is there anything else you can think about wolves?”
“I don’t know! I don’t watch animal planet!” she spat. The police officer snickered and Daniel looked embarrassed
“Wolves –the chief said after sparing a threatening glare to the other officer- live in packs and choose a life-time mate for whom they´d give their lives…Daniel is a werewolf and goes by the same rules, you, Miss Ventura, are his mate”
“I am not a character from a myth! Go choose someone else. I´m not a dog and I don’t want to be.”
“He cannot choose someone else and it´s really not a myth, you just saw it´s not. I could make Daniel do it again –at this the guy looked up at his uncle with a semi scared expression- but at the moment he suffers too much when he changes…”
“This is crazy. I don’t want anything to do with this. Take him away from me” Olivia said decidedly. Daniel´s face looked pained as he took a step forward

“Get away from me –Oli pointed a finger in his direction- I´m asking for a restraining order and real cops” she hurried to her house, got in, locked the door and slid down against the door where she stayed long after the men left. She´d heard some banter and what sounded like the cops dragging the younger man to the police car.

“You were right about this place, grandma…” she muttered much later when her stomach growled. I´d go out of here right this second if I had anywhere to go she thought bitterly.

The next day Olivia had the earliest shift and Alejandro would be there. She´d planned to ambush him there and ask him about this whole thing. He´d been too calmed about it… She couldn’t wait for their shift to be over and when it did she pushed Ale through the back door
“We need to talk” Olivia told him
“About yesterday?” Ale adjusted his glasses
“No, about last year –she rolled her eyes- of course about yesterday”
“Didn’t they tell you?”
“That guy´s a dog and is crazy… what… no, how… what do you know of that?”
“Again, didn’t they tell you?”
“Well, do you think I´d want them near me? That guy´s a stalker and they police is protecting him and no one but me seems upset about that”
“But you aren’t upset by the fact that he turns into a dog?” Ale pointed out adjusting his glasses with a finger
“I can’t even start to think about that!” Oli threw her hands up “I mean, that´s so weird but he´s stalking me, he could be a rat for all I care as long as he stays away from me…” her voice faltered at the end
“It might be upsetting, I know” he patted her shoulder
“Do you?”
“Well, not exactly like you but like I said his brother, well, his cousin, is my sister´s boyfriend so…I´ve seen these things…” Ale shrugged
“His brother´s like that too? Did he kidnap your sister too?”
“What? No! Did he…?” Ale stammered. Oli shook her head
“Your sister…?” she prompted
“We´ve lived here our whole life, we´ve grown knowing them, not that they were like that, they´re secretive about it but when Joel decided my sis was his one and only he told her and at some point he got all weird like Daniel, we, my bro and I saw and Karen, my sister had to explain the whole thing to us…”
“What did they tell you?” Oli asked eagerly, Ale shifted uncomfortable
“Eh….I´m sorry but they´ll have to tell you. It´s not my secret to tell”
“But I know the secret!”
“Yeah, but not the details and only Dani can give you that…”
“Do you know the details?” Oli sighed
“Yeah, some, but Karen´s asked me to keep it to myself” he said apologetically.  Oli sighed once again but nodded.

“Wait, are you like them?” Oli stopped him as they walked back to get their things
“No” Ale said at once
“Ok, good…ah… Do you know if they´re dangerous? Like biting and turning me like them?”
“Nah, well, Joel would never hurt Karen, I´m sure of that and they don’t turn people….they´re… ok, I can´t really tell you stuff but I can tell you that if Dani’s really thinking you´re his one he won´t hurt you”
“Is he like…your friend or something?” Oli furrowed her eyebrows
“No…no, I mean, I know his family, he knows mine… we hang out but we are not like tight, he can be annoying as hell and I bet he thinks the same about me”
“Sounds like you´re friends”
“More like annoying distant family related people” Ale rolled his eyes.

Olivia was more than a little disappointed when Ale told her he had other places to go for the day so she just decided to go grocery shopping and then walk home. She´d just finished putting the boxes and cans in the cabinets when she heard a car coming closer and a few minutes later someone knocking on her door. She peeked through the window and froze
“Go away! –she shouted through the door- I filed a restraining order” not trusting them she still called the police, at least they´d take him away
“Please, hear me out –Daniel pleaded- I´m sorry about last time… I thought you knew…”
“Go away!” she shouted
“Please…”

“No! Go away! Leave me alone!” Olivia said angrily and heard the man leaving as a car came; it was chief Covin

***
A/N: 
* I listened to the audio version of the Little Red Riding Hood´s tale to make sure of the tittle, there they call the bad wolf, the wicked wolf... so that´s where this tittle comes from.
*I have so many pictures for this story, it´s like it´s destiny lol but it seems I see forests, wolves, Red Riding Hood everywhere! 
* It´s often refered to the wolf as the dog in this chapter and it´ll b like that in the whole story probably, that is due to what Ale said about the wolf being Oli´s "dog" we´ll see what the wolf thinks about that later
*Posting´s really good for bad mood...
*Back to listening to Harry Potter´s audiobook where I found another "dog/werewolf" reference ha! it´s fate!

1 comment:

  1. So the comments have to be reviewed now? Hmm...
    Anyway, I was not expecting this turn about at all! Like I didn't see this coming in any sort of way!
    I kept wondering what was up with him but I didn't think about it being common knowledge! Crazy. But now it feels lighter, more romantic comedy fantasy type which is a nice change of pace actually. It feels like I'll be surprised a lot here.
    Now that he has a part in the story he reminds me of that wolf boy movie I told you about with that sad ending. He's cute and dog like. Daniel I mean.
    I really like this red riding theme. And that picture is really cool. I can see it being the cover if this was ever a novel!
    Oh and I too noticed she didn't care as much that he was a wolf. She's more upset that he's a stalker which is funny

    ReplyDelete