Friday, July 26, 2013

A Prince´s Lessons

The Little Prince


                The Little Prince is one of my favorite characters of all books. First of all, because it was the first book I ever read, so I have special memories about it. Second, I really like the way he is. He is so curious; however, he is a shy little guy. I guess I used to feel somehow related to those characteristics. I like that he is always wanting to know the reason of things, he is always asking questions; I like how he insists so much in order to get what he wants, and above all, I love the way he found out the meaning of friendship. Tame was the word the author used; I found that scene very captivating. I really enjoyed reading The Little Prince as much as I did about almost thirteen years ago when I first read it.

                The Prince got to know all sorts of people, people who forgot about the little meaningful things on life. At first he met a king who was alone; however, he felt the universe belonged to him; then he found a conceited man who never listened to anything but praise; then there was a tippler who drank in order to forget he was a tippler, he lived unwillingly to change his addiction; later, in the next planet, the Little Prince found a business man who was so busy trying to own everything that he never enjoyed anything; in the next stop the Little Prince met a lamp-lighter, a good man, but his planet shrunk from time to time, so there was no room for anybody but himself; finally he met a geographer, a man who had never explored, a man who had never left his desk. All those types of people inhabit Earth as well, each one live like they inhabit their own planet, alone, each one so busy on their own ambitions that they have forgotten about happiness and companionship. Although the Little Prince didn´t understand any of the men he knew, he practically met all type of personas.


                The Little Prince, through his journey, shows the valuable things in life. The Little Prince´s most valuable possession was a rose. On the outside his rose was just like any other rose; however, the time they spent together, the time he wasted on her made that rose completely different to any other rose. Such thing: time wasted on something or someone, memories, words…; that´s what makes someone or something really valuable. “…What is essential is invisible to the eye”; therefore, happiness, worth and value are not in what we see with our eyes but they are in what we feel with our heart. That is, indeed, the most valuable truth in life. 

***
This was a paper I presented for some English class. I found the paper last night in some folders... 
"Your comments are very inspiring!!!" was my teacher´s comment -yet I got a nine lol I had four spelling mistakes haha

No comments:

Post a Comment