Friday, July 26, 2013

Transparent




This is the story of a girl who lived in a crystal house right on the edge of a cliff. She had a marvelous view of the blue sky and the purple mountains far away, the grass was green covered with tiny wild flowers…. Her home transparent, it was all empty and colorless, a bubble only for her.

The sunlight woke her up with soft light that as minutes and hours went by made her recoil to a corner, curled, the sun hurt her eyes magnified by the glass yet in the afternoon hours she spent hours gazing at the tiny flowers that grew just outside the glass, no door to get out, no window to climb out… only her eyes to go out… The day kept going by, the moon and the stars promised a better tomorrow but sometimes clouds covered it all and darkness swallowed her with her crystal house. In the middle of it all she curled, hugged herself trying to find a shelter from the darkness outside.

One day, she´d had enough; she paced and paced since the sunrise to the sunshine. “What will I do? I am getting out today” she decided over and over. Her house was no frail place, she pushed the glass and nothing happened, she tried to lure the birds, the rabbits, the deer… anyone that could help her… they could not listen, so in the end, she braced herself… “I´ll break it with my own hands if I have to” she said to herself and she went for it.

One blow, it hurt but nothing happened, “one more time” she commanded herself and she hit with all her strength… it almost felt like the glass had cracked but when she saw, what had changed had been her. Her fist, her hand was now transparent glass. She moved her new transparent fingers as she felt her heart beating fast… the sun made the hand glow… tiny little rainbows came out… little lights dancing everywhere.

“Maybe now that I´m glass too, I´ll break it” she tried again, harder this time. The glass made a cracking sound and as it did so her arm, shoulder, neck, chest and everything else in her did… she wasn´t breaking though, she´d started to turn glass, slow motion yet so fast. She looked away as if trying to escape turning into glass but it was too late… she was glass now, hard, transparent glass… her eyes were the last to change, the last thing she ever saw was the inside of her crystal cage… it seemed she was running inside when all she wanted was to run outside…


The night came, darker than ever… her house was transparent…. The sun rose, brighter than ever… her house was transparent, no one saw it; she was as transparent as her crystal house.

****
A/N
"Tell me an interesting story" I don´t know how many times I´ve said that... somehow this one came up to be like that but not really, the moment I said "I´ll make you one instead" it started to happen in my mind, so clear and quick... by the time I offered to make the story instead of asking it, it was already done and as I already know, writing does calm me down, makes me feel better... I'm glad this little one happened, it was a surprise that I even got to think of it. I´ve been asked to tell stories before and I´ve always said no to that and for the one person that didn´t want it, it happened... My brain works in funny ways.

1 comment:

  1. First of all - hooray for not being able to help yourself so you wrote! That is so awesome and it felt really good to see that happen(not literally see it but see it here so it's like seeing it happen)
    Congrats! <3

    This is kind of how it feels a lot of the time. When you finally get the strength or confidence to put in effort and it doesn't bear fruit and it basically crushes you in a worse way than when you didn't try at all. That's what the feeling I got from this was for the most part.
    Another was that you can be surrounded by amazing things and still not be satisfied with it. It's like those people who cheat or those talented people whom put down others. They have something a lot of people don't but they aren't satisfied so they set out to mess it up to create something different. I don't know if that makes sense but in my head it did.
    I guess I don't want to ramble on for eternity so I'll just say that a lot can be taken away from this even if that wasn't the intent. Of course it's just a whim kind of thing so most likely not but as I often(always) say there's meaning in everything to me so okay
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete