Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Double Life: Breakfast Talk

A/N: This is just kind of a transition scene, not much happening but ...it has a part that made me laugh and also a sad part. It´s probably filled with many mistakes, more so than often, I just did a quick spellcheck with Word but you´re used to my incoherent words lol -such a good excuse I have haha
****
I really like how this looks!


The first day of the year started late for the Arlingtons and their guest. Nichole was the first wake up and wandered towards the kitchen. She was greeted by some middle-aged woman who she recognized as the family´s cool. She greeted the woman who offered her some food that the girl gladly took. As she was finishing her late breakfast Maggie came in the kitchen
“Nichole, good morning! Happy new year!” the woman had a bright, beautiful smile on her face
“Good morning, Maggie” the girl smiled in return
“Did you sleep?” the woman started to eat her breakfast
“Yes, thank you” the girl said. Maggie narrowed her eyes a small fraction
“You couldn´t sleep… Do you miss your home much?” Maggie´s voice was so motherly. All that Nichole wanted was to sigh and shed a few tears, unlike the twins she had no home and here she was watching their family life, everything that she never had but she couldn´t let that slip so with a smile she borrowed the monster´s ability to stay calm despite the situations and the consuming feelings
“A little but I´m also having fun with your family” Maggie was instantly convinced
“I am glad! I am really grateful that you and my boys got to become friends especially with Joshua, he was so upset when he first left”

“That is very hard to believe, he never seemed upset to me”
“Really? I think that´s because you didn´t meet him before… He´s always been more like Erick, his dad and him are so much alike, quiet and insightful but he always had so many friends –Maggie smiled- during holidays our home was always filled with chattering and laughter that they boy´s friends and girlfriends made but then this year he seemed so… withdrawn…” Josh´s mom sounded sad and worried
“The twins are very friendly –Nichole assured her- and Josh is very kind and caring” Nichole smiled her small smile. Maggie smiled warmly
“He speaks very well of you too”
“That´s nice –Nichole chuckled a little- he´s a good friend”

“I know you´re there baby bear, come on out” Maggie chuckled and so did Nichole. She´s heard Aaron´s footsteps a few minutes before but it seemed his mom had sensed him too
“Ah, mom, wouldn´t you let me stay there enough for Nichole to spill the beans?!” he grumbled like a spoiled child and with slightly tinted cheeks.
“What beans, honey?” Maggie smiled mischievously, that smile was like one of Aaron´s
“Come on, ma! Don’t tell me you are not curious if Nic is your new daughter in law, even more after Josh´s ex came” he sat next to his mom and kissed her cheek. Maggie laughed
“I already know” she said matter of fact
“You do?” Aaron´s eyes were wide when he did he looked exactly like his twin with that expression. Maggie nodded “and…?” the boy prompted
“Aren't you nosy, my boy? You should go ask your brother”
“He says no”
“Then there´s your answer”
“Sure, but, ma, he…” the boy suddenly stopped and Nichole was sure of what he was going to say but he stopped himself
“He..?” Maggie locked gazes with her younger son

“...He´s too protective of Nic” he ended up saying
“Does that bother you?” she asked and the boy looked up to meet Nichole´s eyes with slightly tinted cheeks, she had a smirk
“Only when that interrupts our going outs”
“I didn´t know I had ever interrupted” Nichole spoke in a teasing tone but with real curiosity. Maggie had a stern stance now
“No, I mean, not big things –he said to his mom as if defending himself- but grandpa –he said to the girl- has this set amount of times in which we can use the car a month, half for each when we went together it was doubled but later Josh started to hang out more with you and didn´t ever used his”
“You could ask him to use his” Nichole suggested
“Grandpa wouldn’t let that happen”
“Don´t listen to my boy, Nichole, he should be grateful Erick and I even allow those outings” she narrowed her eyes at Aaron who glanced away.

****
“Is this camping?” Nichole asked Josh in the second floor of the wooden house “This house is bigger than an average family house”
“Well… we won´t be sleeping on the ground but we kind of do everything else” the boy touched his neck
“Which is?” she raised an eyebrow
“Campfire, marshmallows, barbecue, hiking… my dad and Aaron go fishing in the lake a couple of miles away from here” he explained, she was smiling, her eyes were warm chocolate that went well with the chill evening
“Do you have sleeping bags?” Nichole asked looking around her bedroom
“Err… yeah, I think there are still the ones Aaron and I used to use…”
“Good, we´re having a real camp out time. Do you think your parents will mind that?”

“No, I don´t think so”

1 comment:

  1. I remember the image this time and whoa that cabin is amazing! It has a double balcony!! I should be so lucky! It's so nice but of course those Richie Richs can afford such an amazing looking place!

    Oh my poor Nic! I want to hug her!! She's soo adorable!! This is how I see her going to breakfast so early(off to crazy imaginary land); For me it's like she likes watching their family because they're lovely but at the same time it's kind of painful watching such things and knowing you'll "never" have that. That kind of thing makes you distance yourself from it kind of to protect your heart from the pain even though you're happy for your the person who has it. Kind of a double edged sword situation. So her going to breakfast alone makes me think she was trying to avoid their breakfast chatter. That's how I see that but it could just be her wanting some alone time...? I don't know...
    Oh yeah I couldn't understand who the lady making breakfast was. It said "cool" in the place where it was about to say her title and no matter how many times I read the sentence over I couldn't get who she was... But you did say there are mistakes so I guess it's okay ;)

    Holy moly!!! Papa Josh has a name! Huzzah! Erick. I like that. It's suits and him and it goes with Maggie well. They "sound" like a couple with kids by those names. Erick and Maggie. Teehee

    Okay I think I get what Aaron almost said but correct me if I'm wrong; I think he was about to say that Josh has been sleeping in Nic's room a few times? Was that what he was going to say?

    Oh and speaking of Aaron! He's done it again!! He makes me like him more and more as time passes! He sounded like he was missing his twin since Nic's been around(at school I mean). It was so precious. It's funny because when you remember the beginning ones he was more into hanging out with those others boys and being wild and young and having fun with girls but it's like he's I don't know, maybe growing up and now he sees that something that has always been around isn't just there waiting for him or something... Probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but it made me really think about his actions during the course of the story and how he's been changing a whole bunch even more than Josh and Nic but he's off to the side. He impresses me is what I'm trying to say maybe but who knows. i'm prone to babbling and over thinking actions/situations so okay.

    But anyway this is why I said I don't see this as a throwaway post. It made me think a lot but you're the author and you know the scenes that are meant to have meaning and which ones aren't so varied opinions I suppose. ;)

    I like that Nic is getting into the trip! She's like if we're gonna do it we're not going to do it as Princesses but for real down and dirty! LOL Go girl I agree! Camp outside boys! <3

    ReplyDelete