Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Double Life: Moon Light I

A/N: This is special -and maybe the rain we had last night helped lol- because I actually read it over twice and even add a whole conversation part that wasn´t there yesterday 
I hope there are not many mistakes since I read it over and if there are... I´ll have to shoot myself lol
The tittle.. I know it´s an over-used tittle but I kinda like it for this one, so whatever haha 
***


 “Why you always wake up when I am about to leave?” Nichole asked barely above a whisper to the boy coming her way, if it hadn´t been completely silent he wouldn´t have listened as she hadn´t turned to see him
“Where are you going?” she heard his voice was weaved with amusement
“Out to walk”
“We´re already outside” he caught up to her. As she had said, she and the twins had made a camp out on the back yard of the house. They made a campfire, roasted marshmallows and told horror stories and then went to their tents a little over midnight. It had been almost three hours after that.
“I feel like exploring the woods… I hear water so I´m looking for a stream” she turned to look at him
“You want to explore the woods in this darkness?” he furrowed his eyebrows
“There is moon light”
“But the woods get thicker”
“I can see that”
“I get it that you know the woods in Burgeoys like the back of your hand but you´ve never been in these one”

“That is why I am exploring it”
“Can´t it be done by day?”
“Doing it at night is much more interesting” she grinned, she looked like a child with a new toy
“Let me go get a lantern”
“I don´t need one”
“You have one?”
“A flashlight, yeah”
“But I don´t”
“Are you coming?”
“I am… Don´t you want me to?” he asked unsure. Nichole shrugged
“I don´t mind… though… I am walking towards the river I hear…”
“I´ve gone to rivers with you before” he winked, she chuckled shaking her head, she knew she was not going to get as close as she wanted with him there, not because he wouldn´t want to, she knew he´d do it for her like he´d done before but she didn´t know the river like she knew the one in Burgeoys woods and it could be dangerous to have him close to this river with his phobia.

“Ok” she handed him the flashlight that she had in her jacket´s pocket and slowed down her pace
“What about you?” he asked, she sighed
“How many times do I have to tell you that I don´t need that to see?”
“You can see in the darkness?” he eyed her curiously and felt her tug him to a side, he was about to step on a root, he would´ve had tripped
“Better than you with a flashlight” she raised an eyebrow. He narrowed his eyes and she sighed “It´s something that came along with what my skin can do” she mumbled
“Really?”
“Yeah” she said in a defeated tone
“So, if I turn off the flashlight…”
“I´d still see, yeah”
“Even if it´s pitch black?” he sounded fascinated and that caused her to chuckle
“That your eyes are not able to see doesn´t mean there´s no light”
“Do your eyes change? You know like the cat´s ones?” he said wondering and that made her laugh quietly
“It seems like I am more like a cat than what I thought –she said- though, it´s not as visible as that… it´s like when your eyes adjust to a room with poor light, like now, the green in your eyes is almost gone, it´s subtle like that”
“That is amazing” he said quietly
“I guess…”
“No, really, it´s amazing”
“Be careful, there are a lot of roots here”

They walked slowly, their hands clasped, she was leading the way. At times she stopped and stood still as if she was listening to a quiet voice and then they´d adjust their way a little. As he had said, the more they walked the more trees there were and the moonlight barely made it through the trees.

“Why do you like walking like this?” Josh asked quietly
“It’s very peaceful. I like how it smells at night, you can feel how the woods hug you with the sounds that welcome you” her voice was calm, quiet, as if she was speaking of a secret
“Most people would feel scared of that”
“I´m not most people. Are you like most people?”
“I wouldn´t be here if I were… though I do worry about wild animals that hunt at night”
“They´re not out to get us. Don´t worry, as long as we don´t disturb them we´ll be fine” she squeezed his hand. He laughed a little

“Every time I am with you like this is as if I was a coward” she saw him made a face
“You have sense of self-preservation, that´s smart… I´m just reckless”
“A prettier way to say I´m coward”
“I think –she said the words slowly- that you are brave, you´re brave to be around me”
“You´re not scary at all” he quietly laughed
“Doesn´t mean I´m not a threat… in fact, that just makes me more of a danger”
“You keep saying that…”
“And you don´t seem to get it… monster inhabit darkness and you are walking in darkness hand by hand with one”
“One that has saved my life more than once and doesn´t even let me fall… very scary, indeed” he chuckled and it made her grin. Maybe I´m just trying to make amends she thought. After a while of walking they were getting closer to the stream Nichole had hear


1 comment:

  1. First off that picture is amazing! I mean the moonlight in it is wow! And it's like little moons are lighting the way with those sparkles

    You know what's funny? Josh is so worried she's going to take off without saying goodbye that he's gained some "super" hearing of his own! Hahaha he always listens out for her so he can speak to her in case she is actually leaving. That's really adorable of him.

    There's another similarity we have in here again with the camping - Scary stories! LOL It's creepy how that keeps happening but flattering too ;)

    Nic's ability to see is something I always wondered about and also her ability to jump down from her window/the wall at school. Made me think of her not being normal other than that touch. I figured she'd have to have something, equipment ir abilities but wow she really does have advances. Her creation in that hospital must have been really "off the books" if you know what I mean? That makes me wonder about somethings a lot more than before! But anyway, it's so cool that she's like that. Makes Our Nic more special. And I love how Josh is so use to the "wackiness" around her that he just accepted that as the truth and not as her being sarcastic and flip. It must feel good to know someone can accept things about you without freaking out. I'm glad too. You've redeemed yourself from your early misstep with that Josh. I'm less mad at you now :-p

    Nic thinking to herself near the last paragraph was the cutest thing! Made me smile when I saw it. It was like she such a kind kid and other people are starting to see that and not just judge her by how pretty she is but by her actions too. It's good for her even if they are people she doesn't always get to see or run into.

    My favorite part is the last thing Josh says at the end about her been a "scary monster" yet she's saved him was my favorite part of it all!! That reaction was priceless! Her words were so sad but his reaction to them though sarcastic and playful were sincere and they felt like a kind of unwavering something that I can't think of right now... Lol but I loved that!

    That AWFUL cliffhanger! The sentence is cut off UGH

    Well done ;) I'm happy it's raining there !!!

    ReplyDelete