Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Double Life: Picture of you

A/N: I wanted to go ahead and rant about how miserable my life is, possibly doing so in a wannabe poem form... I had the first lines in my mind but then... that´s nothing and that´s all, so why to go ahead and use the little time I have to think about that so, instead of that, I decided to go ahead and post another tiny bit of DL, one that wasnt really intended to be in the story until after it was done, why? because Im still not able to let go of the characters so in my mind their story is still going and this part is meaningful for that part of the story hahaha also I missed seeing those two together.

BTW, Saku, thx for the comment on yesterday's post, I liked it. Also, it made me think more of Karl, I think I´ll fix his part of the story ´cause if I dont do anything about it it might stay a bit of a mystery somehow but I´ll see about that. Also, -again- thank you for reading, I appreciate it.

***** 


“Follow me” josh walked to the back of the girl´s dorm building. He pushed the emergency exit
“Whoa!”
“Shut up” he quietly said and started to go upstairs. When they reached her floor he said “her room´s the one at the end of the hall… it must be locked. How do you plan to open it?” josh chuckled at Aaron´s wide eyes
“After the way you dragged me here I thought you had a plan or something!”
“Or something? How would I have something? –he almost laughed- you said to come so I brought you”
“We need a key, josh” Aaron rolled his eyes
“Ah, sure, wait, I have my copy right here” he pulled his keys from the pocket of his jacket, the one that Nic had given him; he hadn’t wore it since he last saw her. Something metallic fell. The twins moved their glaring eyes to the floor, and then with equally wide eyes they looked up to the other. A key had fallen; it had a string tied to a tiny strip of paper. Josh bent to pick it up, there was a note on it.
You might find it useful. Nic” at the end of the note there was a tiny arrow signaling to turn it over, he did, Aaron took the key and read “tweedle dum would love to have this” Aaron narrowed his gaze
“So, she did give you a key to her room” he said still with narrowed eyes
“I didn’t know” josh shrugged and chuckled at her strange ways.

“She´s so lucky to have the room to herself” Aaron commented as they stood in the middle of the room “Do you know where she could have her info?”
“This was your idea, you look for stuff” josh scoffed
“I’m not going through her stuff” Aaron took a step back
“Your idea, I brought you, you do whatever…” josh laid on her bed, one leg up, the other on the floor, one of his hands covering his eyes
“Are you planning to sleep now? Geez you´re such a bad drunken guy”
“I’m not drunk” josh said flatly
“Right”
“You had more drinks than me”
“I have a higher tolerance…”
“Are you proud of that?” josh scoffed again

“Get up and help me” Aaron lightly kicked the foot that josh had on the floor, josh didn’t move. The room was silent for a few moments until josh heard Aaron muttering to himself
“Somewhere safe –he hummed- where would I put something like that?”
“You´d give it to me” josh chuckled
“You’re not helping… -he grumbled- Where would you put it?” he asked after a short moment
“Where no one would find it, perhaps somewhere locked” josh yawned
“Yeah! Help me find a drawer or something that needs a key” Aaron said, josh didn’t move but he didn’t expected his twin to do it, he just started opening the drawers of her dresser then the ones of her desk, the cabinets in the bathroom and finally her closet. Not one was locked. Aaron stared at the room, turning slowly to see it all.

“Josh! Come here, I found something”
“What?”
“Come!” Aaron urged, the boy reluctantly got up and went to his twin´s crouched form in front of the closed, he scooted down too, Aaron was looking at the side of the closet
“What is it?”
“This is the only locked drawer; there must be something in here”
“Closets don’t have drawers on the side” josh pushed his twin´s head forward
“Feel here, there´s a keyhole” he took josh’s hand and directed it to the furthest side, closer to the wall. Aaron was right, this time it was Aaron who smacked josh’s head “try the key”

When they got it open, they stared at the big collection of papers classified in folders; it looked like a file, with random letters on them to distinguish one of the other. Aaron took out the first one labeled “A.C” and opened it; they splayed the papers on the floor where they were sitting. Immediately josh recognized the person drawn in them
“Ashley” he mumbled
“Long hair doesn’t mean he´s a girl, it´s a guy, you dumb face”
“That´s his name, she told me” he clarified when Aaron looked at him incredulous
“Really?” he gasped, josh only nodded. Aaron passed the many pages randomly, stopping in one “this one looks familiar” he said with furrowed eyebrows
“It´s in the library, on the hallway where she broke your nose”
“She was obsessed with this guy, look how many there are!”
“Put them back” josh said, instead of that, Aaron took the thickest folder, it was labeled “F,N,W”
In that folder there were paintings and drawings of trees, the forest, leaves, flowers, clouds, the moon, birds and other animals. Josh recognized some of the drawings

“This is Paisley” Aaron said somewhat excited
“Yeah” josh agreed quietly
“What do you think f,n, w mean?”
“Forest, nature and water” josh pointed to pictures of the forest, animals and rivers to show it. Aaron stared at him for a moment
“A.C is…?”
“Ashley Cooper”
“So… -Aaron looked at the labels on the folders and took another- J.A must be you –he grinned, josh said nothing, instead he just put back the two other folders. Aaron opened the J.A folder and as he predicted, drawings and paintings of Josh were in there
“This one´s quite thick too” Aaron commented as they observed images of josh in class or laying on the grass or smiling or focused on a notebook or playing the guitar. There were also several drawings of his eyes and his smile, his hands and back, even of his sleeping form
“I think you had a stalker” Aaron bumped shoulders with his twin who rolled his eyes
“These- he pointed to many of the pictures- were done after I got asked  if I minded and these –he pointed to the ones of his eyes and some others- seem to be the sketches, the drafts of what she used for that project, don’t you recognize them?”
“Only you would, man. How do you even know that?” josh shrugged and passed the pages. There were pictures of Lizzy´s art gallery, of Paisley, of Aaron walking the dog out, of the Arlington family, of the twins, of Maggie in the breakfast table, there were a few pictures of the holiday they spent together
“I don’t think we´ll find an address here” josh said starting to pick up the papers
“Yeah” Aaron agreed but he went quickly through some more folders

“There´s nothing here” Aaron concluded after looking once again at the papers.
“No” josh started to pull out the folders out of the drawer they found
“What are you doing?”
“I’m taking this”
“Why?”
“She wouldn´t want to lose it”
“Her family should pick it then”
“They won’t”
“Josh… These things are not yours, let them alone”
“psshhh don’t tell me you care about that” josh rummaged in the girl´s closet for one of her messenger bags. He put the folders in two of them

“Shouldn’t you?” Aaron asked with furrowed eyebrows, josh shrugged “no more parties for you josh” Aaron sighed taking the bag his twin gave him

1 comment:

  1. The twins together! I love them together(I love them apart but still)!! It's so strange but I see them like one boy when they're together but when they talk I feel and see them as twins. Lol did that make sense? It does in my head but then I'm the one experiencing it. Anyway, they're great when they talk because theyre alike but different. It felt like something Aaron was used to (dealing with sad Josh) but at the same time he was desperate to help him and that is just too precious. He's a good brother with his sassy attitude. Hahaha
    He had me laughing(I had to stop to laugh) when he said Nic was obsessed when he saw all those Ash drawings. Hahaha it was the perfect reaction to something like that for an "outsider" in her world. Sigh... That was a good one.
    Poor Josh. He's wasting away. I feel bad for him(duh I say that every time) oh well it's true. Poor thing got invested in something just to have it slip away without a proper goodbye. I just want to hug him. He seems to be down because he feels he ended up being useless when it counts...? Such a terrible feeling and for a boy I know how they feel about that kind of thing :/
    Josh's last second thought to keep those pictures was very sad. Not sad like heartbreaking but just loss of words. He has a lot on his mind but probably stuff that he has no answers to so it's like he has nothing on his mind, too.
    I like this one despite sad Josh. I love the twins. They should have bonus material in the published version of the story ;)
    Oh and something about Nix - she's a little contradictory but not in a bad way. She keeps encouraging him to go through her things like she wants him to know her but she doesn't have anything that he doesn't already know so it's like she's still hiding. It's cute and kind of childish but I can understand why she's hesitant and why she wants to give something. It's a nice contradiction.

    ReplyDelete