Sunday, January 26, 2014

Double Life: Take my place

A/N: lately these posts have been very short, huh? btw this part is one of my least favorite, it´s necessary but it´s not a good one for my characters but ofc it´s in the story b/c it has to be

Saku: thx for your comment on the last post. I´m glad you liked what the twins were doing haha also I thought you´d seen that of Aaron, but then, all these parts started to happen after Josh started to talk to me so I guess in a way a few other things were added in these ones. Thank you very much for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it, way more than what I can express with words
*****


“Didn’t Nicky warn you that these woods were dangerous?” a clear, melodic, malicious voice said, he didn’t even had to open his eyes to know who she was but he did open his eyes
“She did warn me of the snakes, Mrs. Strasberg” he said in a calm tone. Nat chuckled
“I can almost see my Nicky in your words” she smiled a bright smile
“How is she? Is she coming back to school soon?” he asked calmly
“Ha! As if you didn’t know… She spoke to you, didn’t she?” she asked, josh didn’t respond “you did give her my message but she told you not to be alone… I haven’t had an opportunity to catch you alone… you two made me create a rumor…” she shrugged
“It was you”

“Yes –Nat sighed- I knew that gossiper would go to you soon, and I knew it´d make you sad, our Nicky´s reputation getting destroyed that way. Thank you for that, I truly appreciate you defending Nicky like that, the guy deserved the punch” she wrinkled her nose
“He didn’t create a rumor… I guess some adults never get over that... It was nice to see you but I have to go now” he stood up and undusted his pants
“I need to talk to you” she took a step closer to him
“I’m sorry, maybe some other time” he tried to walk away but a man came walking his way. josh looked around, he was wishing he hadn’t gone so close to the river, it had been stupid of him, now that was the only way that was free but he was sure he couldn’t get closer and even less cross it, he contemplated running between Nat and the man when she spoke

“Did you ever see the item Nicky carries in her boot?” she tilted her head, his eyes expanded slightly “ah, I see that you´ve seen her dagger, I have one, well, a couple, too” she said, he stared “did you ever see how good aim she has? Even with a moving target, it is really amazing. Did she ever show that to you? –she waited for his reply but he didn’t answer- well, anyway, I’m not as good but I’m good enough… I´d have to throw a few if it´s a moving target but, one at least would make it” she shrugged
“Congrats. I have to go back now” he tried to go again
“Oh, why? I could use your company”
“Thanks but I don’t want yours”
“You´re going with us” she said blocking his path, another man walked towards them, they produced guns from their leather jackets
“You´re kidnapping me”
“I’m just taking you out for a ride, you´ll be back” she smiled, josh took out his phone, she pointed a blade to his throat as the men aimed their guns to his head “no phone” she said, one of the men came to take it from him, the other tied his arms behind his back
“You have no idea whom you´re messing with” josh said as the two men pushed him forward. Nat laughed
“I know you more than you now yourself, young Arlington” she spat his name

Josh heard his phone ran for the third time. He’d been sitting for a long time. Someone came to remove the blind he had over his eyes
“Your brother will think you´re still mad at him” Nat said as she pushed the ignore button of his phone, then she went in a door.

When they had arrived the two men had made him sit on a chair where they tied his legs to it and his hands behind it, the place looked like a wooden cabin but from where he was it looked like an office, there was a desk with a computer, in a corner there was a coffee maker and some old magazines on a coffee table. The phone on the desk rang; one of the men answered it
“She´s not available” he said and then “well, come and see how happy she´ll be to see you then” and after that “yeah, I thought so” he hung up
“Who was it?” Nat came out of the door she´d gone in
“The driver” the man said, Nat, scoffed as she dialed a number
“Hi, Nicky –she said in a cheerful tone- how are you? I’m sure you’ll be happy to hear my visitor´s voice –she said and put the phone close to josh’s mouth. Talk, she whispered, then, say hi, he didn’t, so he slapped him hard, her rings marking his skin
“You bitch!” he snarled
“Do you recognize him? Ah, but that wasn’t for you, don’t worry, he´s got a mouth though!... maybe I should´ve put him to walk, I bet you would’ve recognized that, I forgot –she said coyly- I´d love for you to come and say hi, I won’t let him go before you come!” she had a disgustingly cheerful tone
Josh was to remain there until the girl returned, at least that way Aaron would notice he wasn’t there and they could try to find him, his grandpa with all his influences could find him, maybe they could help Nichole, he thought frowning, he knew she had never wanted anybody to know about these people
“Don’t worry” said Nat glancing at him, she was on the computer now “She´ll come in a while, I had to make a precise plan, she always listens to my messages on Friday around this time. You will go back before anyone misses you”


“…Don’t worry, he just came a few hours ago –Nic heard Nat´s voice mail- we´re close, I couldn’t pin-point you but I know you´re somewhere near… Do you remember this wooden cabin we stayed in a few years ago?...” Nat left an address. Nichole sighed heavily and tilted her head up with her eyes closed. She´d had to catch another train… the wind blew, a few leaves fell on her face


A door banging made josh look up, he´d been silently looking down for the hour and a half that he´d been without the blind. He saw Nichole coming in, she had dark rings under her eyes, and she looked paler and thinner. She was wearing an old leather jacket, her boots and her midnight blue gloves, her hair tied in a braid, she walked with her head held high, very graceful, her eyes cold while she walked straight ahead as if she had the upper hand not like josh had imagined she´d look. When she passed right in front of him, her eyebrows furrowed a fraction as she took in the forming bruise in his cheek, she quickly looked to Natasha who shrugged making innocent eyes at the girl.

“Take him home” she commanded to the woman
“We need to talk first” the woman replied in a calm voice
“Take him home safely now” Nichole ordered with authority that made Nat blink, the woman sighed
“Nic…”
“Don’t make me repeat myself” the girl took off her gloves
“I can’t have you going away again” Nat said to the girl´s back, she had changed her course, going to a window instead of to Natasha, the girl didn’t reply for a moment
“Take him back safely. We do have a lot to talk, you´re right about that”
“Fine” Nat motioned to the two men to take him
“Untie him, he´s not your prisoner” Nic faced Nat who sighed
“I’m sorry –she said to josh as she untied his hand from behind him- but I needed her to come and talk to me” she let him untie his feet

“Are you taking my place now?” he asked Nichole with concern. He saw her sigh a tiny sigh and then she shook her head. “Nic?” he furrowed his eyebrows, after that first glance she hadn’t looked at him
"I want to be here now" she said in a quiet voice, then turned away.

“Only the driver is to take him to the same place where you kidnapped him” she said to Nat, disregarding him, she put on her gloves again. Nat nodded. The girl bent her leg up and took her dagger from her boot
“Don’t doubt in using it against anyone who attempts to harm you –she instructed as she gave her dagger to josh- I’m ok, nothing will happen to me here –she added- silence helps me, ok? –she stared at him, he nodded- go now, please” she walked away and entered the door Nat had entered before. The room stayed in silence.

“Time to go home!” Nat said cheerful, it was creepy how she could change her demeanor so quick
“Are you going to harm her?”

“NO! I wouldn’t do that! –Nat gasped- she wouldn’t let me”

1 comment:

  1. Poor Josh. I knew he'd get taken. He was too upset to stay in groups of people. He's the type that needs his alone time when things are on his mind. He should have went to his room or the art club room. Sigh. But the poor guy isn't himself so he isn't thinking clearly enough. I want to hug him and help him. I'm sure looked almost as exhausted as Nic but of course for different reasons than her, considering her world just got turned upside down. :/
    "Seeing" Nic looking so awful was terrible. She's so young and she's dealing with things adults should be handling in her place. Instead they're being jerks and making that kid go through all of these and they seriously expect her to just continue on as things were after learning her existence was all mechanics and experimentations. Oy vey.
    If Nat thought I disliked her before -- Grrrrr! Threatening a kid and kidnapping?! She really think she's above the law and nothing can touch her. It would have served her right if Nic came in as a total maniac and touched her. She's so arrogant and pompous. I can't stand her smug self. -_-
    I got confused at the end though. I couldn't understand what was happening or rather who was talking and what was going on.
    It was sad how Josh had to leave after such a brief reunion. But I admire how tough he always is under stressful situations. He never backs down which is seriously admirable. He's a brave guy. I think that's part of the charm in his fear of water. It's the perfect contrast and so unexpected. I really think that's cool and the fact that he's not like those fact phobia people in stories. He actually is scared and he doesn't hide it when it's around. I love that more than I can even babble about.

    ReplyDelete