Sunday, September 23, 2012

Double Life: déjà vu



A/N: I don´t feel like reading this before posting it. Why? idk... I´m not sure this piece has unity or coherence but this was what came out when I thought of the place where Josh and Nic were left... That´s my excuse if this is crappy or has many typos/mistakes...

A/N2: In theory I already read it n correct it... I hope it´s not so crappy anymore haha
*****

“Josh, Josh, wake up, Josh” as if it was a whisper the boy heard his name being called. He stirred in bed still with his eyes closed. “Josh. Don´t make me pour water on your face. Wake up!” he heard a threat and blinked. The first thing he saw was Nichole´s smirk and then he saw her eyes.

“You have dark rings under your eyes” he frowned; she turned around, away from him. He sat. “Did you have nightmares again?”
“No, you snore too loud” she turned to smirk but it failed, she chuckled when she saw his disheveled hair.
“I don´t snore” he protested. She shrugged and turned away again to sit and start combing her black hair.
“Your cloth must be dry now” she glanced him through her hair, she had parted it in two parts, she was now combing the right side. He got up and went to change clothes.

It was really early in the morning, around 4 am. When he got out of the bathroom, fully dressed, she walked him out of her building and then she went back and finally fell asleep. She had stayed awake as he slept for fear of hurting him. It had been two days with pretty much no sleep. 

She was woken up later when she heard someone knocking at her door, she opened, it was Val, the dorm supervisor.
“I´m tired, Val –she said when she saw the woman standing in her doorway- what do you want?”
“There´s a rumor of a boy coming in our building last night” the woman said glancing past Nichole
“And you wake me up for a rumor? What´s wrong with you? And why do you wake me up?”
“You brought a boy last time, you had little shame to pass with him right in front of me” the woman glared at Nichole. The girl sighed.
“And what does that tell you?” Nichole raised her eyebrows, the woman wore a confused expression “It tells you that I don´t care whether you see me or not bringing a boy in to my bedroom, so why should I put any effort in hiding it, moreover why would I risk starting rumors when you know I won´t hide it from you just because I don´t care” Nichole started to close her door as Val wore an expression between surprise and anger.
“I’ll have to communicate this your father” she threaten
“If you are looking for an excuse to talk to him, I suggest you to find something better” Nichole closed her door “he couldn´t care less what I do with the rest of my life as long as I am of use to him” she said walking back to her bed where she took off her gloves and bandage and then hopped on her bed between the sheets.

She woke up late. She left school before lunch; she had lunch at the town in some Chinese restaurant. On her way back she bought a few snacks, cookies and a couple of books. The afternoon was spent exploring the woods.

“Is that me?”  Josh asked the following Monday as he looked a recent paint on Nichole´s usual spot in the art room.
“Who?” Nichole was in the brushes cabinet
“This painting. When did you do it?”
“Who says I did it?” she took paint out of the same cabinet
“Well… it´s your spot” he said hesitant
“I don´t have to paint in one spot”
“True but there´s no one here that can paint or draw as well as you” He got closer to the picture. She turned around and smile.
“Thank you”
“So you did do it”
“Maybe” She placed herself in front of the easel that directed the window. She put a fresh piece of paper on it.
“You draw me” he whispered.
“Who says it´s you?” she took the paintbrush with crimson paint and made strokes at the top of the paper
“I doubt there are many guys that look like me”
“I know at least one that looks exactly like you”
“Ah, I´ll tell him, then, I´m sure he´ll be excited” Josh said after a while. Nichole chuckled as she added some yellow to her painting
“If you want you can tell him”
“Is it really him?”
“Does it matter?”
“I guess not” he took out a guitar. On the days they had art class he brought his but this was one of the days in which Nichole had broken into the classroom. Josh had seen her from the distance and had come in to the building too. He started to play.

“You should sing –Nichole said glancing his way, he half smiled- you have a nice voice” she went back to painting. He started to sing.

“It is you” she said still her back to him. He stopped suddenly. “Don’t stop”
“You saw me?” he asked, she turned to see him, a question in her eyes “Why didn´t you talk to me?”
“I haven´t seen you”
“…then?”
“I…I just imagined it”
“Really?”
“I… yeah, I think so” she said doubting herself

“Can I have it?” he sounded happy.  She looked down as she let out a sigh
“Are you going to put a picture of who is possibly yourself in your room? Isn´t that a little self-centered, Josh?” she looked at him and raised one eyebrow.
“I am not putting my own picture in my room –he started to say confident- I …I was thinking in sending it to mom” he ended a little hesitant. She smiled despite herself. Even if she knew little of Maggie she was almost sure she´d be happy to have that picture of her son.
“Ah, in that case, I think you can have it… I´ll ask Mike to send it to your family. Is that ok?” she smiled; he walked to her with a smile and hugged her. She returned the hug with one arm and let go of the paintbrush that stained the floor in order to put her other hand inside her pocket.
“Thank you” he whispered
“No problem” she let go and so did he. She busied herself cleaning the brushes, her painting unfinished.

“When did you go to that fountain?” she asked still washing the brushes
“I´ve gone frequently… when I got insomniac…”
“I see…”
“I thought you had seen me… maybe”
“And I thought you had gotten the taste to go into the woods” she poke her tongue out to him as she walked to put the brushes and paint in its place. He shook his head and put the guitar in its place too.
“I like that fountain, there are lights in there” he winked.  They got out of the room as they had entered: through a window that faced the hallway. When they got to the entrance of the building each one of them walk their separate way. It was an unspoken agreement, to the rest of the students they seemed still as if they were keeping their distance. It was more convenient to her, she was wondering if he´d finally understood her reasons.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you told the reader about not proof reading because .... :-p

    Josh can SING?!! Do you know how that made me grin over here? I'm just too into him. He's so awkward and sweet and even tough when he has to be. Sigh

    Nic talking to Val like she was a peer was the funniest thing, especially with me imagining it as her leaning on the door scratching her belly or something like that since she was exhausted. Lol.

    Nic thinking what she did about her dad has reminded to me to ask... are the people he tells her to kill business associates or rivals? but then how would that poor man in that out of the way house who was a drinker, who fought her a little, be known to her dad? Unless he was an associate who was down on his luck?

    thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ///./// what a shame...

      yup, he can sing. I really like that of him too. Yeah, he´s such a nice guy ^^

      lol scratching her belly?! lol I don't think she´d do that lol

      I was wondering when you were going to start thinking ´bout that :p The ppl she kills are sometimes rival or ex-associates but there are others that have more to do with her than what she can imagine ;)

      Delete
    2. OMGosh! Was that a spoiler at the bottom?! Some have to do with her?? hmm... Now I'm puzzled.

      Just the thought of a tired person in the doorway made me think of that. Lol. But Nic is way too composed to show that kind of disheveled attitude. She is "cat-like" ;)

      It's crazy that he is just hot. I can imagine what he sounds like but then again I can't and that makes me angry. Hahaha...

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention the one handed hug. That was so how I hug people. I loved that. She put her hand in her pocket. Lol

    ReplyDelete