Saturday, February 9, 2013

Double Life: Eyes that Talk




A click-like sound followed by a low hiss made her eyes snap open. A boy grinning mischievously and looking from her to his phone was what Nichole saw. She felt a weight on top of her head and a warm body pressed to her side. Her head was lying on Josh’s shoulder, her side on his side, his cheek on top of her head and his arm around her shoulders.

“You have to cuddle with me some time too” the exact image of Josh said smirking
“As if I´d do that” she said above a whisper not wanting to disturb the boy´s sleep, she still glared tough but then she watched her watch and was glad to find out it was almost 10 o´clock.
“I´m just like him” Aaron said as she started to gently shake Josh with her left hand over his chest. He didn´t wake up and her heart skipped at beat
“Josh!” she called as she shook him again moving quickly her hand to his neck just as she did this the boy stirred, lifted up his head and blinked, sleep heavy on his eyes.

“Are you ok?” Aaron asked her “you suddenly look pale” they boy has his eyebrows furrowed. Josh looked quickly from Aaron to Nichole who quickly rubbed her eyes with her thumb and index finger.
“It´s almost ten” she passed a hand over her face and then rubbed her neck.

“What are you doing here Aaron?” Josh addressed his twin as Nichole combed her hair with her fingers
“Mom was calling you, she couldn´t reach you and asked me if I knew what happened”
“I haven´t hear my phone ring”
“Obviously”
“How would you find me?” he stretched his arms up and then proceeded to fix his tie
“Twin´s telepathy” Aaron grinned
“Right” Josh looked at his cellphone and furrowed his eyebrows “I forgot to take it off silent mode once I got out of the test”
“Smart”
“Whatever, how would you find me?”
“I went to your classroom, Michelle told me you and Nichole had left so I figured you´d be somewhere with no people –he motioned to  Nichole- but dry after last night´s rain –this time he motioned to his twin- and voilà, I was right” he had a satisfied smile
“Pretty predictable” Nichole commented surprising the twins
“Don´t worry, I´ll keep your secret” he winked
“I have insomnia, it´s no secret” the girl said with a bored tone of voice

“What did mom want?” Josh asked Aaron as the three of them exited the SCR
“She didn´t tell me but I already texted her that you´re an idiot that fell asleep and didn´t answer”
“Whatever”
“Such a clever thing to say, Josh” Aaron teased his twin

“Hey, what are you doing this afternoon?” Aaron looked over to Nichole, Josh was in the middle.
“Why?”
“You don’t answer a question with a question”
“Says who?”
“That´s how it is”
“I think outside the box”
“Found your match!” Josh laughed turning to Aaron
“I like being matched with her” he said mischievously
“You´re not up to my level” she matched his disposition
“And Mr. Pillow here –he pointed his thumb to his twin- is?”
“You said it not me”
“Are you confirming it?”
“Hurt much?” she lifted an eyebrow
“Ow, ow, ow” Josh pretended to wince and then laughed earning a glare from his twin and a little smile from Nichole.
“What would you want? –Josh asked his twin after a while- are you planning on ditching the last match?”
“Absolutely not, I´m too good to not let people see me beating the rest of the kids in it” he grinned
“Then?” Josh was interested in knowing why his twin wanted to know Nichole´s plans for the afternoon. Aaron gave him a look and Josh observed him for a second and then grinned, it was like they were having a silent conversation and they knew well what the other meant with those looks and smiles.

At some point Nichole felt Josh hand taking hold of hers, she allowed it but she didn´t hold his back.
“Today´s last day of karate club and we´re having an open class”
“mmh” she hummed
“Which means friends and other people can go and see us fight”
“I see”
“I´d be cool if you could go” Josh smiled, his eyes were saying the words he just expressed too
“I have somewhere to go”
“Oh” his eye seems to grow pale. They had gotten to the hall where Aaron went one way and they took the other way.
“See you” Aaron said
“See you” Josh said and Nichole nodded to Aaron

“Are you still going to your class today?” he asked once Aaron was gone
“Yeah… “
“Maybe I can go see you instead of you seeing me” he said somewhat shy, a light shade of pink touched his cheeks
“Not today, Josh”
“Why not?”
“You can´t go out and you have your last karate match today. You gotta beat you twin for me” she grinned and so did he
“Still… I could go out” he said and she smiled a small smile
“I´m not going to that class today”
“Where are you going?” he asked, there was a crease between his eyebrows and then he blinked a couple of times “oh, eh, you don´t have to answer that” he had a nervous smile
“By now I´m used to your blunt questions –she lightly squeezed his hand- you´re like Camille –she had a bright smile as she mentioned her little sister- very honest and with no filter when it´s about asking what you want to know”  she shook her head as they entered into the classroom. He let go of her and put his phone on the box. She walked to her desk, he gaze fixed on the sky that was visible from the window.

“I´m visiting someone”
“You’re seeing Camille today?”
“No” she seemed pensive
“A friend?”
“I guess”
“Not a friend, huh?”
“Do you call friends to those who already parted?” her eyes glistened and a single tear rolled out of them
“Nichole… you´re visiting Kate?” he touched her hand, she looked at his hand on hers
“It´s not Kate… but yeah… this friend´s six feet under too”
“I´m sorry that life has been taken away from those close to you” he said compassionately
“Well… monsters are cruel and they are always hunting…” she said above a whisper
“You always say that, I don´t understand” he furrowed his eyebrows she only half-smiled “and, besides, there´s no darkness in here, you said that they live there” he was following her lead
“Just because darkness takes shelter under light it doesn´t mean it´s not there” her voice and eyes were sad
“I can go with you if you like” he offered
“You can´t”
“I could”
“Not today, Josh” once again she half smiled but the sadness in her brown eyes remained, his green eyes seemed to copy hers.

1 comment:

  1. The silent conversation between the twins was too precious and a little wicked. They were agreeing that Josh could convince her to come to the match weren't they? Lol So bad but so naive

    Awwwww she went to sleep too! So cute super cute! And Aaron taking a picture of it was hilarious. I'm surprised she didn't try to take that! But then she was preoccupied. That scene when Josh didn't move had me scared like her! Whoa. That jerk had her freaked. He must be seriously tired if he slept that deep once he was comfortable and her too.

    Wonder what their mom wanted with Josh but couldn't tell Aaron...?

    How super cool and wow was it how Aaron figured out where they were??!! It was like one of those things where you have a seemingly shallow jerk character but then a certain type of situation happens and you see their true colors. This was one of those. It was a nice change of pace for him and the way he delivered the line was so adorable too dare I say Hot?! o.O

    Aw it must be Ash's anniversary. That's why she's thinking of it...?
    And that last paragraph with Josh mirroring her sadness was really beautiful. Like because you hurt, I hurt moments that worked so well. I feel a lump in my throat right now. So sad. I feel so bad for her. :(

    ReplyDelete