Saturday, February 9, 2013

Double Life: Sleepy


A/N: I hate it when there´s not a single image that makes me feel "this is what the post is" grrrr
***

The last week of the school year was always similar, there was a mix of relief and stress, relief because of the coming vacation and stress because of finals and the end of the year presentation that was a Burgeoys tradition.

In the morning most students were giving their review of what they were not going to remember a moment later, some others were long resigned to either get it right or to flunk so they were chatting among themselves about vacation plans and if they were not lucky they also talked of the extra classed they´d have to take as the rest would be on vacation.

“Did you study?” the boy behind Nichole asked. She´d been staring out the window to the sky, it was always and darker after rains at night.
“A little” her response came after a moment “you?”
“I guess” he sounded worried
“Don´t worry, you´ll be fine” the girl surprised herself with a cheerful calm voice
“Thanks” he said as the teacher came in with a stack of papers, the exams. For a moment there was only silence.
“Could you wait for me once you are done?” Josh whispered as the exams were being passed.

A few students had gone out when Nichole got up and left her test on the teacher´s desk. This last week students could go out as soon as they finished their exam and then at 10 o´clock they had to go back for their other test.
Most of the students that were out were on the hall waiting for the other students, their friends. Nichole had never waited for anyone but this time she sat across the wall of the classroom, her back against the wall of the opposite classroom from hers, her i-pod in place, her eyes closed. People´s voices sounded like a distant murmur, she´d managed to mostly tune them out, some of them glanced her way and others were just discussing the answers they got.

The door or the classroom often opened and closed, students coming out of it, a while later the a set of distinctive footsteps was heard by her. The footsteps stopped right in front of her and she heard someone going to a squatted position.
“Let´s go” she said no opening her eyes
“Sleepy?” Josh said with a smile on his voice. He stood up.
“Yeah” she mouthed as he extended his hand to her. She didn´t take it. “Thanks” she said once she got up. They started to walk slowly to the stairs and then out the building.

“I´m going to go get food” she spoke taking the way towards the cafeteria
“Good! I skipped breakfast again” he commented
“Again?”
“Yeah, I couldn´t sleep but then this morning I over slept and ended up skipping breakfast”
“I see”
“What about you? It´s still early to eat again”
“Are you keeping me on diet or something?” she said in a teasing tone “I think I´m on the right weight, but it´s true –she didn´t wait for a reply- strangely, the same thing as you happened to me”
“Studying?”
“Nope but that´s what I ended up doing”

“I don´t want to stay here” she told him as she paid for her food
“Sure. Where to?”
They ended up on the Student´s Common Room; the grass was too wet for them to go to the orchard and the SCR was deserted, everybody was either at the library  doing a final review or at the cafeteria or in some classroom doing exams.
Josh and Nichole sat on a couch; she removed her shoes and put her legs on the couch, sitting on her side. He sat on the other end of the couch. They ate their breakfast there silently.

“I was talking with my mom last night –Josh broke the silence, Nichole opened her eyes and took one of her earphones from her ear- she told me my aunt saw the painting you did of me –Nichole nodded- she said you´re really good –the girl half-smiled- she wanted to buy it”
“Oh” the girls eyebrows arched in surprised
“But mom wouldn´t let her buy it so she ended up borrowing it. She´s got a small gallery”
“That´s nice”
“Maybe you´d want to go and see…”
The girl closed her eyes and slightly furrowed her eyebrows before opening her eyes again. “It´s ok… I know how it looks like but I feel honored that your aunt wanted to show it to people. Thank Maggie and your aunt for me”
“Ok”

After a moment Nichole yawned making Josh yawn.
“You can sleep a little. I´ll wake you once we have to go to the next test” he offered
“You´re yawning too, you sleep” she yawned again and they both laughed quietly
“Have some rest” he said
“I don´t want to sleep but you can”
“That´d be rude”
“Not like you haven´t done it before” she grinned and he gasped
“You had woken me up before sunrise that morning!” he defended himself
“My point is that I don´t mind” she said in a soft tone
“Stubborn”
“Right back at you” she said turning on the T.V. in front of them to avoid falling asleep.

1 comment:

  1. The first thing that jumped out at me was Josh's confidence that Nic would finish before him. That was so cute. (and of course that would catch my attention right) ahahaha
    But the fact that she waited was beyond adorable. She's usually so mean about that but she did and YAY! So cute. I liked that some of the kids noticed that she of all people was there waiting. She's so popular without knowing or caring. I liked that little description. Made me imagine her tuning out the world but the world sees her. It was nice.

    Their little arguments are the best. They are both so stubborn. They will argue over anything but it isn't malicious or mean. It's more teasing and flirty. And they can hold out for a long time.

    Time leap!! I want to see the painting!!!! *throws a chair* I wanted to know what she saw when she drew him. And what Josh did for her. Show me Show me!!!!

    Oooh a new location! I like that common room.
    And I love the comfort she showed by calling his mom by her name. It was a kind of subtle kindness towards him. It's probably no big deal but the way I see it, she's the type of girl who seems like she may call adults she respect by their last names if they want. So I just thought that was nice. :)

    so short! why?! >_<

    ReplyDelete