Saturday, February 16, 2013

Double Life: Lamb and Wild Flowers

I think I like this one, I hope it makes sense because there´s a lot of flash backs. Also, this one comes with a song. Lola´s favorite -Lola is Ash´s grandma. 
This one´s a little bit short but it´ll b double post tonight -I hope
***

After a silent lunch on the orchard with Josh he went away to his last karate class, he seemed a little disappointed of her denial but he was not going to make her not go to see that dead friend of hers, he would´ve joined her but he knew she valued solitude as well. He knew that she wouldn´t do something that she didn´t want to. “Good luck” she smiled her half smile to him as he waved good bye.

Nichole walked in the forest following the river, as she went by she picked wild flowers and when she got to the place where she saw Ash for the first time she stopped, his presence untouched in her mind. She looked at the place and her eyes saw his smirk, and she half-smiled for his ghost. She stepped into the river; there was a line of rocks in the middle. Ash had crossed over it the first time he´d gone closer to her, after a long while of just a few words. He´d purposely taken slow steps, like she was doing now, he had stopped in each stone to watch her and she´d completely ignored his gaze, focusing on the book on her hands.

“That book must be really good” he´d commented once he crossed and was on the grass, she´d paid him no attention. He sat a few feet away, opposite to her, she spared him a look. “I couldn´t ignore you if not for an amazing good book…” he raised an eyebrow, the look in his eyes playful, she stared at him and he offered a smug smile. “No, not even then, I´d ignore you” he said tilting his head to a side.

“Does that line even work?” she asked, his expression was blank for a moment as if that wasn´t what he´d expected but then he laughed and his laugh was contagious, it made Nichole put her book over her smile and now as she was on the other side of the river she let her smile be seen by his memory.

She walked with a quick pace through the woods, once she reached the edge of it, she stood watching the scattered housed at the other side of the road. She crossed the street and walked down it to an abandoned garden, a thick layer of dust covered a wooden house. She hadn´t been there since Ash had died. She took half of the flowers of the bunch she´d picked and laid them on the back entrance of the small house. She´d never gone in the house through the main entrance, mostly because since Ash´s grandma died he hadn´t used that door either.

“Let´s dance, kitten” he´d made her put her arms on his shoulders
“No, Ash” she lightly pushed him by his shoulders but his arms were secured around her waist. Old music was playing loudly in the house. It was early in the evening.
“Come on, kitten, we´re celebrating” he started singing “You know what? You´re so lovely and oh, what you do to me. I´m like an ocean wave that´s bumped on the shore…”
“What are we celebrating?” she interrupted his singing, he seemed happy but not really
“Lola´s birthday” he kept singing the old song, she got close and hugged him feeling a lump on her throat, it had only been a couple of weeks since his grandma had passed away. He had hugged her back. She focused on the music and started to dance, Ash´s eyes went wide.
“You can dance, kitten” he said surprised
“Had dance lesson” –to make me a better monster, she kept that to herself. He chuckled
“Lola- his grandma- taught me how to-he said this as the vinyl record changed to a slower song- she loved Frank”

“I want to dance with you, Ash” Nichole said lying on top of the grass covered place where Ash had been buried.

“I miss you Ash” she whispered, a tear staining her cheeks.
“I missed you so much, kitten” Ash said. She’d gone away of Burgeoys for the end of the school year vacation. She said nothing. “I thought you might have gone over me” he continued. She´d gone to the woods, to the place they had met. It was the first day of classes again.

“Are you over me?” he´d asked, she´d stared and slowly shook her head no. his smile was bright. “I thought about you a lot…” he confessed confident, she stared at him. “Did you think of me at least once…?”
“Isn´t that a bit corny?” she raised an eyebrow, he laughed
“Very” he shrugged
“I did”
“You´re a mean kitten” he had a bright smile
“I am a wild cat, after all” she shrugged with a half-smile, he took walked closer to her, he took her gloved hands and kiss them both, his eyes fixed on her eyes.

“Your name suits you, Ashley” she half smiled and he narrowed his eyes, faking anger
“Unmanly?” he raised both his eyebrows
“Old fashioned” she winked

“I thought a lot about you, Ash” Nichole murmured to the earth that hugged Ashley´s remains.
“Do you like lambs?” she said as the Ashley of her memory said it too. She sat up and took a bag out of her backpack; she put a single cupcake with the form of a lamb made of tiny white marshmallows on top over the grass where he rested. He had taught her how to bake them in an attempt to cheer her up, he hadn´t known that a week like that Miriam had died. Nichole talked to Ashley´s ghost for a long while, until the sun set and even after that.

2 comments:

  1. This is so so so sad but incredibly beautiful.

    Let me get this out the way: Poor Josh. Sigh.

    Okay anyway, How adorable is Nic hiding her smile behind that book?! I can just imagine that especially with how she is now. Thinking of how she was back then and how she was tough but still behaving as a child somewhat makes that image too precious!

    Sinatra. Good stuff right there. The man has a voice. And it is really Nic/Ash this song.
    And them dancing = dies! It was so much perfection. The way he got shocked that she could dance was so funny but in a way where it was like so pretty and pleasant and lovable. I can just see them dancing but what I wouldn't give to hear his voice singing. He must not of been too bad since she didn't mock him, and I know her if he was bad she would have.
    Awww it's good that he can celebrate his Lola like that despite the fact that she was gone. He was a good person.

    How crazy is Nic!?! Talking to ghost as if they're standing beside her, flesh and blood! Hahaha I love her but wow. All kidding aside it was good to witness. Her soft side is so amazing and she has to hide it. It's too sad.

    I really liked that no one used the front door anymore and also that no one lived there after them. I adore both of those things. It's satisfying for some reason.

    Can I say again how freaking cute Nic is in this one! Past and present. If she gets any more cute I will explode, my heart I mean! <3 <3 <3

    This was so special. I really liked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it´s pretty sad but it was nice to see a younger Nichole and how she was with Ash

      I like that image of the smile behind the book too, it´s cute.

      I know! I like him! I love their dance too, it was sweet of Nic to give in to dancing w/him. I wanted to talk about his singing voice but Nic wouldn´t let me, hopefully it´ll happen later.
      He was a good person and his Lola too.

      It is crazy but that´s her missing him. She´s been hiding it for a long while.

      I liked that too, it´s like leaving their memory untouched.

      She has that inside her too. She´s cute she just doesn´t let it be seenn much but there´s things that are making her change, I guess ;)

      Thank you so much for your comment, it makes me want to write more and it also makes the muses happy -n me ofc.

      Delete