Monday, March 4, 2013

Double Life: Uncommonly Common

I loved this pix, it´s what I imagine Josh would see in this one :D

A/N: very very short post, but I liked it, it was calm and somehow playful and it was pretty easy to make, a few changes happened as I typed it, I think it was for the best. The muses decided to pay me a visit tonight! 
**** 

At seven in the morning there was a vibrating sound on Nichole´s room. She exhaled through the corner of her mouth, she´d dreaded that sound for many years now. She’d been putting the gifts Josh´s given her back in their boxes and in a big suitcase with her things. She went to her nightstand and took the new phone and instead of having a call, she had a text.

“Have breakfast with w/me please. I´m in the SCR. Josh :)” read the text. Nichole shook her head, grabbed her bag and went out of her room.

“I was starting to think you wouldn´t come” Josh smiled a pleasant and satisfied smile as she entered the Students Common Room.
“I thought about that” she said in her usual voice but there was a slight smile on her face. She sat next to him on the couch. He gave her a food container, she opened it and found pancakes with slices of strawberries around them and a smiling face made with chocolate chips. She felt a smile tugging at her lips.
“Aren´t you going a little sap?” her words ended up with a mix of laughter and he chuckled
“I´m spoiling you today… but you know you like it” he grinned and she just shoved a strawberry in her mouth. She still felt that smile tugging at her lips

“I want to see your brother today” she said. He found it strange, she often avoided his twin
“That´s new”
“Smell me…” she leaned a bit and he smelt her with furrowed eyebrows and then it hit him and he started laughing
“You smell like me” he said between laughs
“Yup. I wonder if he´ll notice”
“Maybe, maybe not” he shook his head and they went back to eating silently, a light atmosphere lingering around them.

“Hey, aren’t you sleepy?” he asked after a while
“No, I´m fine. Why?”
“You didn´t sleep last night” he had a calm voice but there was a hint of concern in it
“Oh, yeah, but I slept the night before so I´m fine”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah, besides I took a shower again, so I´m good” she found it oddly pleasing to talk of mundane and insignificant things. She wondered when was the last time someone asked if she was resting enough, she couldn´t even remember, she let that thought drift away to the sea of other thoughts of all other things that were not something she had for insignificant they seem, she was poor of things like that and there was Josh thinking and pointing to those things she lacked of.
“Ok”

“I wonder how I did in that test” Josh sighed after doing their test, it was the time in between exams.
“You worry too much about that” Nichole was walking next to him
“I´m not a genius. I have to worry about it”
“You´re just fine”
“You say so because you´re on the top”
“Top five” she corrected him, he rolled his eyes
“Still at the top”
“There won´t be any difference, you´ll still be a senior next year just like I will”
“So… you´ll be a senior next year?” he hinted the topic of her not coming back to school
“My point is that you´ll pass no matter if you´re average or if you´re at the top”
“Average…” he sighed
“You´re not average, Josh” she shook his hand holding three of his fingers, he looked at her “I mean it” she emphasized her words. He smiled a little. “If you want… I can go and take a look at your file… I´ll tell you how you´re doing” she offered with a mischievous smile
“Don´t get into trouble, Nic” he said somewhat with a stern voice. She chuckled
“I won´t get caught” she smirked
“That´s not the point” his serious tone made her chuckled
“I think I will do it… “
“Nic…”
“Josh”
“Come on”
“Yes, I will go” she laughed. He shook his head

“Where to?” he asked, they had been walking aimlessly
“Not to the SCR” she said
“He´s not that bad”
“I guess but he´s the annoying one of the two… but you two are identical so you must be right…”

They walked to the limit of the school and the woods. She climbed the stone wall as Josh looked away.
“Pass me my bag, please” she fixed her skirt, he passed her the bag while looking down
“Stay right there” she instructed when her was about to talk, he raised an eyebrow but did as she said. She took a pencil and her drawing pad and started a new sketch

“I thought you´d finished your project” he said after a while of standing there
“I have, all the drawings are in the Art room. I couldn´t have left you last night in my room if they had been there”
“I didn´t touch a thing”
“Aw you lost your chance…”  she snickered and he shook his head
“If you finished…”
“Told you… you´re easy on the eyes” she chuckled
“No, really, why…?”
“For real, Josh, what happened to your confidence?” she jumped off the wall and then sat in front of him who was staring at her, she smirked and he sat as well “You know, some guy got me pastels and I want to use them”

There were clouds that covered the sky, it looked like it might rain, yet the sun made its effort to go through the gray clouds, light going through darkness, dancing, fighting. The trees moved by the soft cold breeze. The two of them spent the rest of the time there, without words; she was finishing her drawing as he hummed some tune with his eyes closed laying on the ground with the songs of birds and the claps of the trees. A tiny almost invisible smile was still present on the girl´s lips. She wished she could thank him for giving her a day away from the monster that inhabited her and the world of shadows that she was forced to live in. 

1 comment:

  1. Aw this was so cute and sweet!
    Nic putting her gifts back in there boxes was like the best thing ever!!! Because Josh wasn't there that meant she was still looking at them while he was gone!! EEEEEE!! *DIES* Haha so adorable.
    And him texting that phone he gave her was so adorable. It would have been funny if she never turned on that phone and never got that text :-p But awww she had it on and used it <3

    The part with Josh humming with his eyes closed has to be my favorite. That was so sweet and it shows his musical soul and I can just imagine them outside all quiet and surrounded by nothing but nature and finally some Sun. The weather gave Nic a spot of sunshine through the clouds for her birthday awww!

    Hahaha Nic wanted to tease Aaron was great for so many reasons.
    And Josh being happy she said next year was the best! I was as excited as he was(though more cautious than him of course, Nic loves treating us poorly :-p ). Ha

    ReplyDelete