Saturday, March 29, 2014

Through my eyes: How to be you

A/N: Double post!!! I was going to post it until tomorrow but whaterver, I want it here now so I´m posting.
I had so much fun writing this one, I liked the twins together.
ah, originally, this had another tittle, guy talk, but idk I think I like better the new tittle. I wish I had a pix to go with this one but ...I dont.
****

“Hey man” Aaron’s voice greeted me
“Hey” I replied as I went through my clothes
“Weekend good?” he couldn’t be bothered with words sometimes. He’d called me once on the way back from the log house, I had been driving and still with Marissa, he said he’d call back and that was what he was doing now
“It was fine” I threw the sweat pants I intended to wear on my bed
“Got lucky?” I heard a laugh in his voice, I laughed not replying “So the plan worked” he continued still with humor in his voice
“It worked but that was not its purpose” I half growled as I changed into my sweat pants
“Sure, sure but isn’t it great that it gave you extra advantages” I could hear his smirk
“She asked if it was my bachelor house or something” I related
“Ouch, she saw right through you” he teased
“You know that’s not why I took her there” I rolled my eyes
“But did she know?”
“No, but, I mean, I don’t need to make use of such things”
“Arrogant, huh? Chicks like that, personal experience” he boasted, I laughed, I know he’s right on the personal experience part, I´m not sure about the chicks like that part though.
“She’s… I think she likes to take the first step, so…” I said, he laughed
“So, you let her do all the work, I see, good bro!”
“Yeah, I was sleeping all the while” I said flatly, he laughed
“I bet you were but it didn’t seem to matter what was the real reason for the weekend, right? Sounds like she was pleased” a double meaning in his voice
“Ha-ha… but seriously, I’m not sure, shut up –I said before he can make an annoying comment- I’m not talking about that”

“Ok, I'm listening”
“It got to a point where I told her I don’t do one night stands” I said, he snorted
“And she believed that?” he knew it was true, he always said that even if it was true, being a man, girls were bound to not believe it. I was silent for a moment, thinking
“She said I was the perfect man” I laughed as I said it out loud, he laughed along
“You’ve got her on your hand. I’m telling you, mom and dad did a great job when they made us” he couldn’t be serious, I shook my head
“Aaron…”
“Do you think she forgot her lake plan?” he asked, letting go of his playfulness. I had told him about that, of course I had.
“For now, I think, but she joked that she had expected the log house to have a pool, a Jacuzzi or something…” I sighed
“She couldn’t wait to get you wet and naked” he joked
“She wondered if there was a river or something around” I ignored his joke
“Damn, she might still want you to take her to that rowing shit” I could almost see him frowning
“Yeah” I agreed with a sigh. We were silent for a moment

“I could go with her –he offered- take her to the boat” he continued, he was offering to impersonate me and take her to the boat grandpa had left him. They had usually gone sailing or windsurfing, whatever they did, it was something that Alexander had done with our dad, bonding, and then with Aaron. Now, dad and Aaron occasionally bond over a boat trip. It didn’t bother me anymore. His offer… I knew Aaron could do it, would do it if I accepted and he’d do it well

“No… -I said- it’d be faking it”
“Not like we haven’t done it before” he reminded me in an attempt to ease my mind, it didn’t work at all
“Yeah, but I did it for you, it’s not the same” I protest, indeed we have taken the other’s place sometimes throughout our life but unlike my twin I don’t want to let him go out with my dates
“I know, I know –he says placating, he knows I don’t like to go out with his dates either, not that it is a common thing- but this is different, you know I can behave…”
“I know –I say knowing he wouldn’t pursue someone if he knows I´m serious about her, or even if he just thinks I’m serious about it- but anyway, you might get recognized” am I considering this? I slap my forehead, of course not…

“Of course I won’t. I know how to be you, I look like you… just like you know how to be me” he reminded me again that I’ve done it, gone out with some girl… both his dates wanted to go to the same concert, one first date, one not so new.
“This wouldn’t be a first date” I said but I was just saying, I wouldn’t do it, it wasn’t right
“Kim never found out it was you who gave her our first kiss –he sounded amused, he’s sick- your chick wouldn’t find out it’s me”
“You’re sick! –he laughed- besides, Kim was drunk, I doubt Marissa will be drunk from the start” I rolled my eyes
“Yeah, she was not good for me –he said thoughtfully- she even kissed my brother” he laughed
“You made her, you bastard!”
“So are you, big bro” he laughed some more
“I’m not doing it” I said, I´ve already said it but I wanted to say it again
“I could do it this time, so we’re even” he joked but I knew he was serious
“Don’t think so” I said in the same light tone but I know he knows I´m serious

“So, what will you do when she brings out the subject again?”
“I don’t know. I’ll make up some excuse”
“You can go ahead and tell her…” he suggested but I know he’s reluctant about that, he’s always been reluctant about my sharing secrets, he’s been right about that almost always but he supports me if I want to go ahead and tell people about my phobia
“That’s not an option –I said and almost heard his sigh of relief- at least not for now”
“You can tell her you can’t swim, that’s true” he suggested
“No, she’ll only want to teach me, think it’ll be cute…” I said almost grumbling, it’s happened before
“Well, the asthma line always seems to work, right?”
“Yeah, for excessively rainy days and panic attacks” I said almost without opening my mouth, I hate to admit that. He is silent for a second, thinking. I’ve covered my eyes with my arm; I’ve been on my bed since after I changed clothes

“Isn’t there some water allergy or something?” he said almost to himself and I chuckled
“Yes, aquagenic urticaria” I said
“Cool, then you have that!”
“That’s a little extreme, just a few people have it and if that was true I couldn’t even drink water or take showers or sweat” I furrowed my eyebrows, it’s some terrible weird thing
“Isn’t there like a lessened form of that aqua something?”
“I don’t think so…” I make a mental note to search for more information on that but his idea is good, it actually could make sense. I hate lying.
“Some doctor you’ll be” he teased.
“As good as the slacker lawyer you’ll be” I retorted, he laughed
“Haven’t finished my speech for tomorrow” he said both proving my point that he’s a slacker and letting go of my stuff, it mortifies me to have to go around it, he knows. I was thankful that he changed the subject and so subtly too.

“What time you got your presentation?”
“Eight” he replied, I shook my head as if he could see me, it’s like him to leave it all for the last minute
“How much is still missing?”
“About half of it. I don’t find a way to introduce my other arguments…” I could almost see him scrubbing a hand over his face in frustration
“Have you tried to outline the whole thing?”
“Yeah, it sucks everything’s all over the place…”
“What are your arguments?” I asked knowing it helps him to talk; he doesn’t need anything else but to explain it to someone to get it

“It’ll be a long talk –he warns- are you free?”
“Sure, go ahead –I said picking my book- you know I won’t get a thing about legal stuff though” I said, it’s true but it won’t help that I’ll be doing my reading as he speaks but he doesn’t need to know about that
“I’ll explain” he said, cleared his throat and started talking about things I didn’t really listen to. I was reading and highlighting my book. On occasions I asked “what’s that?” if I heard a word that caught my attention or if it seemed appropriate and he explained something I didn’t listen either and then he continued as I continued my reading until he finished his speech, I think if I had paid attention it would’ve been good, at least he sounded like a lawyer, all in words you just can’t understand.

“What do you think about it?” he asked
“Didn’t get a thing” I said honestly “but that must mean it’s perfect –I added before he said anything, because he had explained a few things- lawyer talk is code for usage of words to confuse people, you never get it and then they make you sign and you give your soul to them” I teased and he laughed
“It’s an art, man”
“I bet” I yawned, he yawned as well, it was close to two in the morning.
“I’ll finish writing this stuff” he yawned again
“No… –I yawned again interrupting myself and we both laughed- …more practice?”
“Once is enough”
“The minimum effort, huh?”
“Maximum productivity at the lowest cost, my friend, -he quotes dad’s business speech- haven’t you heard dad all these years?”
“Didn’t take it to heart like you but, what about quality and ethics makes a good business?” I have heard my dad, of course
“Productivity in itself is quality. Ethics is just a concept, an ideal, something that you can’t really measure in one go, you might seem like you’ve got ethics but be a complete jerk. My ethic looks are perfect” I knew he had a smirk
“Ah, right, how can I forget you’re studying to be a professional liar?”
“When will you learn, Josh?” he fakes a disappointed tone
“When you flunk”
“Ha! Aaron Arlington does not flunk –he boasted- it’s more accurate to say that you’ll flunk”
“Right”
“Wanna bet?”
“Again?” somehow we’ve been betting about this every semester
“Once this speech is graded” he said, I laughed
“Practice one more time, I’ll listen” I offered with another yawn
“Nah, don’t wanna be responsible for you killing a patient”
“You’ll bail me out, be my lawyer, that’s the only reason I’m listening”
“You couldn’t afford me” he said flatly as if it’s obvious. I laughed
“Then shut up and let me go to sleep”
“You shut up” he retorted
“G’night, A” I said rubbing my eyes
“Night, J” we ended the call. I closed my book; it had been an interesting weekend. I needed to think about this just not tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes!!!? I actually thought he was right there in the room with him!! Lolol it's so funny. He said he ended the call and I actually went through the post again I was so shocked! Haha those twins they just feel right together. So sweet.

    I was really excited seeing this here! Finally Josh can just be Josh. And Aaron is funny as ever. I was laughing at his comments. Hrs such a popular boy. That's how his behavior comes off. He's very confident. Josh could learn a thing or two from him on that.

    When he asked to impersonate him before my obvious "aaawwww" and *squeal" moments my very first thought was you don't have a mole Aaron. But then as I thought of the times they'd done it it made me sad. No one noticed such a thing. Then it made me sadder because I remember Nic noticed a loooooong time ago :( sigh..... But--!!!! Him offering was just beautiful brotherhood. I loved it! Such a sweet offer and the fact that he was so serious about doing it just showed that he puts his brother above whether or not he'll be caught impersonating him. I adore that. I'm like Yes finally someone who puts Josh and his feelings first. Ahh... What I wouldn't give for incest here LOLOL

    Eek!! Still giddy over the twins. My favorite line "you can't afford me". Teehee he's so arrogant. He chose absolutely perfectly!

    ReplyDelete