Saturday, October 20, 2012

Double Life: Menace




“Come to me” Nichole´s voice said through the phone once the moon was high in the sky. Some clouds covered its light for moments.
“Hurt?” a female voice replied doubtful
“Why else would I call you?”
“What happened? It was reported you got at Burgeoys ok” Nichole didn´t answer and after less than a minute she hung up.
A moment later she felt her cellphone vibrate. She answered.
“Where are you?” said the voice
“You know I´m perfectly aware of the tracking device that is on this phone, so if you are coming, come, if not leave me alone” Nichole hung up.

An hour later, Nichole saw a tiny light coming to her.
“Why are you always running to the woods?” Natasha whined observing her muddy boots.
“Why can´t you wear normal shoes?” Nichole noticed the high heels on the black velvet boots
“Now, it´s your fault if my boots get completely ruined”
“You knew where you were coming” Nichole said as Natasha got closer to see her. Natasha passed the beam of light all over Nichole as she squatted down to see her better.
“You are not hurt” the older woman furrowed her eyebrows
“Who is Mary Anne Ibsen?”
“I don´t know” said Natasha too fast as she quickly stood up. The corner of Nichole´s mouth twitched up a tiny fraction
“Who is Mary Anne Ibsen?”
“You are wasting my time, I´m leaving” Natasha didn´t move
“This is the last time I´m going to ask. Who is Mary Anne Ibsen?” Nichole stressed each word of the last part.
“Are you threatening me?” Natasha gained an angry stance. Nichole stood up and took a step towards the woman who took a step back. “You can´t threaten me!” Natasha´s voice faltered a little at the end as Nichole took a couple of steps closer. Natasha pointed the flashlight right into Nichole´s eyes.
“That won´t work with me” Nichole took two more steps and Natasha felt a tree behind her.
“Nichole, step aside” the girl didn´t move “Nichole, I don´t want to hurt you…” Natasha lifted a hand as if trying to put distance between herself and the girl. Nichole lifted an eyebrow. “Nichole, I warn you…”

Nichole quickly grabbed hold of the flashlight pulling it off Natasha´s hand. “Try” she turned the light off.  Natasha´s eyes couldn´t make up where the girl was, she´d felt her move aside.

“Nichole, give me the light” Natasha didn´t hear a sound which was scarier to her. “Nichole! Nichole, calm down, you know I´m no enemy” she tried to sound calm now. The clouds that covered the moon moved and she saw Nichole sat on the same spot she´d found her in but she was staring at her with a tiny smile. All that she wanted was to run but she was aware of the girl’s abilities.
“Nichole –the woman put the palms of her hands in front of her as to calm the girl down- what are you doing? –the pale glow of the moon let her distinguish the girl´s figure, her hair was tied in a braid- I´m going to go now” she walked sideways looking at Nichole who stared at her.

“You won´t go until you answer me” the girl stood up again
“Nichole don´t do anything stupid”
“I could say the same to you” the girl tilted her head a little “once the clouds cover the moon again that gun you´re desperately trying to conceal won´t work if you don´t see your target. I, on the other hand, will see mine”

“Am I your target?” the woman did her best at trying to hide her fear
“You are not”
“Then?”
“You have a gun; will you use it against me?”
“I would never want to hurt you” the woman said as the clouds covered the moon again, she heard Nichole´s humorless laugh. She didn´t believe her. “I mean it” she said to the blackness of the night
“I´ve been serious too, you won´t go without answering my question” the woman heard Nichole´s voice right next to her, she gasped.
“I don´t know”
“I never expected you to be a bad liar, you used to be good, I guess you got sloppy after Tilly died” Nichole turned on the flashlight. Natasha blinked quickly and opened her mouth to talk but no words came out of her mouth.
“You never talk about her” she said above a whisper after a while “why are you bringing her up?” her breathing had become elaborated.
“You´re making me bored” Nichole tossed the flashlight to Natasha who barely caught it
“Will you let me go?”
“I haven´t tied you”
“But…” the woman let out a heavy sigh “Nichole, don´t ever do that to me again” she said in a scolding manner and turned to leave.
“You´re just like her, aren’t you? You’ve always pretended you care about me but you are just doing that, pretending… getting paid every time I’m hurt” the girl said to Natasha´s back. The woman stopped and slowly turned around. She swiftly walked back to where Nichole was
“Don´t touch me” Nichole warned when she tried to hug her “I don´t need that, even less from you” Nichole´s voice said with disdain, the woman seemed hurt.
“I care…”
“You have what I want” Nichole interrupted her as she stared at Natasha who looked away and sighed.

“Why me, Nichole?” the woman said after a long silence, the girl kept staring at her “You could´ve asked your father or find the information for yourself” the girl remained quiet. “You have to know I can´t say a thing” her voice sounded pleading.
“And why is that?”
“Karl, would kill me this time”
“This time?” the girl lifted an eyebrow, Natasha shook her head “I could do that too. Is he worse than me?”
“He is”
“You could run from him… “
“He´d send you to find me”
“You are the one that find people for him to send me… you can use that to run from us”
“He could still find me, you could still find me”
“I´m the only one here, now, I don´t need to cover any tracks… he does”
“Are you threatening me again?”
“No –Nichole smiled as if that amused her- I´m stating the facts”
“How did you find out that name… I thought you never read the documents…?”
“I never do”
“Then?” the woman prompted knowing the girl didn´t talk when she didn´t want to.
“That´s unimportant”
“I don´t know it all”
“Rain fell on me, I´m tired, you talk too much of things I don´t want to hear” Nichole took a step forward and Natasha one backwards with an offended expression “this light is making me tired”
“I want the light” Natasha clutched the flashlight harder. Nichole felt a chuckle forming in her throat, “are you afraid of darkness” was going to be her next reply but that reminded her of the line she always used when Josh came to the stonewall. She heard the river in which they had been just a couple days ago in the distance. He should be afraid of me, Nichole thought, not of the water.

“Why do you want to know?” Natasha asked interpreting Nichole´s silence as a sign of alarm.
“That you are trying so hard to conceal what you know means you know more than you say and it means that you either knew her and are protecting her or that you are afraid of her”
“She´s dead, how I could fear the dead?” the woman rolled her eyes
“I´m not dead”
“Neither is your father”
“There you go again, stop talking about him” Nichole sounded mad, Natasha flinched “I am what he uses to get rid of what he doesn´t want”
“Are you implying you wouldn’t hurt me?”
“If I wanted to kill anybody you´d be the one to kill, you´re annoying, yet you´re still here, aren´t you?” Nichole had a bored expression; the woman stared at her for a long while then closed her eyes for a little moment to stare at her for another long while afterwards.
“Alright, but no one can know what I´ve said to you” she sighed as if preparing herself.

*****
A/N: I just realized this story has gotten long, over 150 pages so far, it made me remember how I struggled to write 25 pages for my very first story, granted I was 12 I think and was also very self-conscious of what I was writing, I felt too shy to tell the things in my mind, mom had to help me so much. I´m happy that teacher made us write that story. I haven´t felt these 150 pages... 

2 comments:

  1. Nic was way too cool in this one. She was like Batman or someone cool like that. Stalking the night. Like a spirit or a ghost appearing everywhere but at the same time not moving anywhere. She's the master of those woods. Natasha should of known better then to step into someone elses territory. Hasn't she heard of nuetral ground?! Lol. She didn't say she was hurt on the phone like usually and yet she was arrogant enough to come. Serves her right.
    I think Nic called her because A - she thinks Natasha is weak. And B - in a weird way she knew she would be the only one to talk because she may(that's a big may) trust her. Not in the traditional sense of the word...

    Congrats on writing so much of this!! I think you haven't noticed because it's so fun to write. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Batman?! hahaha yeah, she knows that place, she´s been there for a long time after all.

      haha she never thought of Nic doing anything like this, she´s "prepared" for it but she never expected it, she's known Nic for too long but obviously she doesn´t really know her.

      I think it´s a little bit of both. She´s weak and she´d be the only one to talk...

      yay! thank you! it is, indeed. I´ve had so much fun!

      Delete