Saturday, December 8, 2012

Double Life: Under the Clouds




“How do you find your way in here?” he asked once they got off the bus on what looked like the middle of nowhere. They´ve been silent the whole ride. Joshua had texted to the Art Club kids. Maya ended up calling and Nichole rolled her eyes when Josh answered all the girl´s questions, this made Josh chuckled

“Ever seen the school´s map?”
“Yeah”
“Well, the school is surrounded by forest in three sides this road is in the back of the school; diagonally of this road is the back door that now is sealed”
“That´s not in the map”
“Nope, but you just go in a diagonal way”
“I see no diagonals here, only trees!” he rolled his eyes, she chuckled
“Ok, our school is near the river, so we look for the river but since we don´t want to get close to it even more now that the rainclouds are covering the sky, we just go for the places where there are more trees that often lean to a side and have branches all over the place”
“I see braches all over the place” he looked around and she chuckled
“You´re impossible Joshua” she faked an annoyed tone
“How do you know these things?”

“The same way I know how to walk like I walk and climb in and out of windows” she sounded tired as she confessed this.
The afternoon was cold and dark, the clouds and the trees covered the sun completely. She made sure they walk fast the whole way up, walking in diagonal direction not getting close to the river. Once they got to the stone wall that bordered the school, she climbed first and then it was his turn, he got off but she remained sat with her legs on either side of the wall, he extended his hand up to her, she shook her head right when the wind blew carrying brown leaves. Her hair got messy and she grinned.

“It´s about to rain”
“You better run”
“Nichole you´ll get cold”
“Cold´s good”
“You´ll get s…” he stopped mid-sentence remembering she´d said she didn´t get sick, he´d made a mental note to ask about that but he doubted this was a good time, she finally seemed less upset
“Sick? Only you´ll get sick if you don’t find shelter”
Josh looked at his phone “The guys say it´s already raining in town”
“It´ll be less than a minute for it to rain here”
“We should hurry”
“You´ll get wet anyways” she smiled a little smile as he looked down tapping his fingers against his leg. Suddenly she jumped right in front of him. He looked up.


“Is the rain a problem for you like pools are?” her tone was compassionate. Josh´s green eyes widened and became somehow paler
“I… no”
“Are you sure?”
“I am” he turned to walk away
“Why does it annoy you that I ask you?” she caught his wrist, he didn’t turn “wow! Josh can be annoyed” she said playfully, this time he turned around shaking his head. She sat on the ground Indian style not letting go of his hand, making him bend, she looked into his eyes intently with a small smile on her lips. He sighed and sat too.
“Rain will fall on us” he sighed. She opened her bag and took out a black umbrella, unfolded it and put it over Josh´s head
“Talk” she smiled. He remained silent “It can´t be that bad Josh” she patted his knee
“Nobody but my close family knows about me and my …err… thing with water… I don´t want to be seen as coward…”
“You are not a coward… it just happened… you know I wouldn´t tell anyone about it. Do you dislike rain because of that?” she spoke softly, he was looking down to the grass
“I know you wouldn´t…no, I don´t have a problem with rain… it´s just that… I don´t…”
“Want to be seen like that?” she finished his phrase, he sighed a little “Joshua” she called his name, he looked up “I would never think bad of you”
“You don't mind?”
“I don´t mind –she smiled, his green eyes were as bright as before, he seemed relieved- now –she got up- give me your pass”

“Eh?”
“Your permit, your school ID? The thing where it´s been recorded you went out, it´d be bad if you didn´t return in the records”
“Right”
“Quickly, the rain will be hard! Give me that and go to your room, I´ll take it to your room”
“You´ll get wet”
“I love the rain but it might make you sick. Josh don’t make me look for you ID in your pockets”
“You wouldn´t do it” he took a step back, she smirked taking a step forward
“You took a step back… I know guys almost always have their wallets on in their back pockets… I bet yours is there too” she tilted her head still with a smirk
“Fine, fine, just stop it” he took out his wallet and ID out
“Stop what?” she tilted her head the other way with her eyebrows slightly furrowed. She took the ID “get going boy” he didn´t move, she rolled her eyes “go, Josh” she started to walk on the wall fast towards the main gates.

When she got there it was already raining hard, she put on her hoodie and pushed up one of the windows where the guards were, they turned surprised to close it, just as she passed the code bars of Josh’s ID on the reader.

“Boy! Take shelter here!” one of the guards said when the machine beeped. She raised her hand and ran inside. “Hey! At least take an umbrella” another guard shouted. She laughed as the hard cold rain drenched all of her.

“You shouldn´t leave your window open” she said getting in Josh´s room
“Nichole!” he gasped when he saw her “so loud! My roommate could´ve heard you!”
“Pfffft! He's not here!”
“How do you know that?”
“You´re not the only one sneaking in and out of the girl’s dorms, you know”
“What?! How do you…?” she shrugged as she gave his ID back
“You´re drenched!”
“And you just noticed that?” there was a laugh in her voice
“I... I´ll get you a towel”
“I´m going now”
“Nichole! It´s dangerous that you climb out of two or three story buildings but that with rain is worst. Stay until it stops raining”
“I want to go get changed -she tugged at her hoodie- I doubt you have girl clothes and I won’t around on the nude” she rolled her eyes, his eyes grew wide and he shifted uncomfortably, she laughed
“you´re such a boy” she said through her laughter, his cheeks became a light shade of pink

 “Later, Josh” she went out the window as he shook his head with his index finger and thumb rubbing his eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygosh! Josh is just too too too too cute! I just want to hug him and squeeze him and love him! Sigh. That rain confession was even better than swimming one! Because it's so subtle but it is so intense at the same tie. And all this time he has always been trying to avoid the rain and lecturing her for being in it, now it makes sense! Sigh. I just love how he thought he would be a coward if he admitted such a thing. It's so adorable and I don't think he's a coward at all. I think that is such a unique and also pleasant. Sigh.

    Nic on top that wall with her hair blowing was for some reason very cool. It made me think a storm was coming and that she can see it coming near or something like that. Weird I guess but I like that image. -_-

    It was funny that Nic impersonated him to go through the gate but it was also sweet because she only did it to get him out of the rain faster. I liked that too. I like their friendship. It's so innocent and pure and even paced. I love me some Nic and Josh - together and separate XD

    Josh's roommate is so bad!! LOLOLOLOL and it's just like Nic to know what is going on in other peoples rooms even though she could careless. Haha

    I liked Josh rubbing his eyes at the end. Reminded me of myself :)

    ReplyDelete