Saturday, January 5, 2013

Watching Carmen: The Fourth Look





The baby had dimples and he smiled easily, his big round eyes were a bit red, he´d cried a little, his mom hadn´t rushed enough to feed him, her eyes were a little watery but she was comforting him with her embrace, it all made me smile a little. She tenderly rocked the baby and he fixed his bright eyes on her, his little mind was learning and engraving all his mother´s features, the sound of her voice was known to him but now he saw the tiny changes in her face, the light in her eyes that was a mirror or his own light. The new mother kissed her son´s hand and he smiled showing his mouth without a single tooth, she smiled brightly and baby talked to him.

They were waiting for the father, she was still in her maternity leave, she missed him so much and wished she could be with him as much as before, it made her uneasy but she didn´t exactly knew why, the more she thought about it, the more uneasy she felt, it made me sad so I hugged both her and her baby with the form of a soft breeze, I went through the soft waves of her hair, it made her child smile and she forgot her uneasiness.

“You enjoy playing way too much” Fabre[i], the mother’s angel, said shaking his head

*
“I can´t stand this” Carmen didn´t even take the ring out of the box, she looked away as if the shine of the single diamond on top of the white gold band offended her.
“Why not, Carmen?” said the man still on one knee
“Stand up, Sam –Carmen urged the man and motioned to the chair he´d used just a moment before- I can´t do this” she stood up and started to walk out heading to the door, the man, Samuel, went after her, the velvet box now closed still in his hand.

“Carmen, please –he touched her shoulder- this is not a bad thing. I want to spend the rest of my life with you” upon those words she turned around
“Look –her gaze was gentle- we don´t need that to spend our life together besides how can you plan for such a long time, people change all the time…”
“My feelings for you won´t change” he interrupted with a cool confidence that made Carmen smile
“You don´t know that… I don´t want to be like the rest…”
“We´re not like the rest”
“but we are, in time you´ll want the submissive wife, the one to take care of you, the one to make a tiny person and I will expect things from you too, I will expect security from you… -she started to shake her head as if she was looking all that in front of her- I can´t have that, we will both demand something from the other and will end up feeling disappointed. I don´t want that”
“That will not happen, Carmen, I love you”
“You can’t make those promises as you can´t make miracles happen”
“I love you enough to make that promise” he took a step closer to her
“And I love you –she kissed him softly- which is why I won´t accept that” she whispered and headed out the door. Inside the house the man sighed heavily and slumped on his couch, putting his feet on the coffee table in front of it, he threw the small flower base with the single white rose he´d gotten for Carmen, the piece of pottery broke in hundred pieces as Carmen was walking fast down the street not sure where she was going.

“You´re breaking the rules” Navitas said angrily. Caelum closed his eyes with a smirk on his mouth. He was pacing the library where Carmen worked.
“I´m just going to give her a small miracle” he vanished in a tiny sparkle.




[i] Skillfully/skill

2 comments:

  1. Poor Samuel. It must hurt to have planned a proposal and then have it turned down out of the blue :( Sad...

    Ahh the speaker's name is Caelum. Finally. But then you did tell me that much when you first started writing it. It's a pretty name indeed.

    That baby is such a cutie. It's like I am literally holding that adorable rosy cheeked baby.
    It was sweet of him to ease her worries with that warm breeze/
    So does the mom and dad of the baby work at the same place? That what I gathered from the way you worded it...

    I have some theories here too but I will keep them and see if it comes true.

    Oh and what does that skillfully/skill mean at the bottom? Is that what the name Fabre means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, but it would be worse if she´d said yes not feeling the same way as him.

      Yup, his name´s Caelum and yeah, you were there when I was thinking of his name ^^ -thanks

      isn´t he cute?! I´m glad you can see him ^^
      I guess, I´m not sure, this is one of those stories that slowly reveals itself -if that makes sense.

      aww I want to know those

      yes, this time I wanted the readers to know what the names meant ^^

      Delete