Friday, January 4, 2013

Double Life: Caught




I couldn´t find a better pix. I hate this one ¬¬ but it was the closer to the idea I saw in my mind ...

“Josh! Josh! Josh!” his eyes snapped open, he was curled on the bed sweating. It was still raining. “Josh…?” he heard Nichole´s voice as she turned on the light, his breathing was elaborated. “Are you ok?” she asked, he sat up, wide eyed “I think you were having a nightmare”
“I… yeah…” he agreed as he tried to calm his breath “did I wake you up?” she shook her head
“Wanna talk about it?”

“I… I think it was a memory. I was drowning –he took his hand to his neck and rubbed it- I saw this little girl from back when I was in the hospital, she said what you said, I won´t let you drown. It´s the first time I hear her voice, she always seems to be silent, I guess my brain was giving her your voice… my dream changed and it was her who was drowning, I couldn´t save her and she wasn´t even fighting to get out, she just let go, she´d save me but she´d ended up falling. I couldn´t do a thing, I stood there like a rock”

“Aw, Josh –she touched his cheek- it was just a bad dream” he closed his eyes
“Why do I always dream of her?” he asked to himself aloud
“Was she in the same room as you?” she asked remembering what Aaron had said about it
“I don´t even know, I often saw her through a glass… I don´t know what she had, she was always with needles coming out of her… sometimes our beds were only separated by the glass”
“What happened to her?”
“I don´t know… every time I was there, she was there… I wonder what happened to her after I left but grandpa never seems to want to tell me about her, he makes it seem as if it was my imagination… I know I didn´t imagine her”
“Maybe things were not good for her and that´s why he never said a thing about her?”
“I´d like to know but he said it was just my imagination, he said there was no one with me in the whole time I was there”
“Oh”

“They put me to a psychologist for that but I know she was real”
“Do you know her name?”
“No”
“What hospital were you in?”
“Golden Larch Medical Research Center”
“That's the name of the hospital?”
“Yeah, grandpa´s…”
“I see… Do you think you´re ready to go back to sleep?”
“I´m sorry to keep you up” he widened his eyes
“Don´t worry” she nodded to her bed, there was an open book on it
“You were reading at… he looked for the clock”
“You were only asleep for an hour”
“Aren´t you tired? What are you reading?”
“The Divine Comedy, but if you´re ready to go back to sleep, I´ll go to sleep too” he nodded and laid back on the bed, she turned off the lights and went to her bed
“Good night, Josh”
“Good night, Nichole”

As the night gets darker the smaller lights shine brighter and eyes get used to the absence of light as they try to distinguish changes. Inside of Nichole´s room the blue light of her alarm clock shined with the big numbers that read zero two one zero. The light of the numbers casted their light on the figure of the bent girl who was tying her boots. Her eyes and ears and all her senses were always alert without even trying, she´d found out that she could see and hear more than the rest of people because of Natasha and that dreadful woman who made her the effective monster that she was. She´d never been afraid of darkness, she´d nothing to be afraid of it she saw it all…

“Nichole?” the light of the clock allowed the boy sleeping in the other bed to see her
“Go back to sleep, Josh” her voice was soothing as if she was trying to make him go to sleep with that. She slipped her knife inside her boot and then stood up
“Are you going somewhere?” the boy asked still half asleep
“I´ll be back soon”
“Where are you going?”
“Can´t tell” she walked to her closet. The boy moved and lifted his head trying to reach for the lights; he turned on the bedside lamp. The lights hurt his eyes for a moment.
“You always say not to ask… someday you´ll tell me” his disheveled hair and sleepy voice made Nichole chuckled

“I pray for that day never come. Now go to sleep”

“It´s still raining”
“I have a rain coat –she put in a black rain coat with hood- I won´t get wet”
“You shouldn´t go out” she said taking that expression he had when he was about to be persistent
“On my way back do you want me to get you your uniform?”

“Mmmmh –he was starting to fall asleep again but he suddenly sat up- No! It´s ok… -she thought she saw a faint blush in his cheeks- I mean, you don´t have to” he rubbed his eyes, she chuckled and walked to his bed
“It´s ok” she said in a soft voice, she walked to the window as he laid back on the bed, she opened it carefully and went out of it, standing on the window sill and carefully closing the window again, after that she jumped off to the ground.

1 comment:

  1. I fully forgave Nic last time but this one makes me forget why I was even mad. AWW she is so sweet and good here. Makes me want to love her and squeeze her.

    This probably just my pov and not the reality(and I even have another thought of why it happened) but I liked that she was woke and reading the first time he woke up. It made me think she was watching over him but also that she may have been thinking of him touching her like in her nightmare if she slept. And also her old roommate did the same so... but I'm just being a romantic probably. She was probably just waiting up for her assignment or meeting.

    I said this already but how adorable was sleepy Josh?! And his memories and grandpa telling him an obvious lie = hmm...?! Sounds suspicious then Nic's reaction was too... hmm...?! But she could have been trying to calm him down and taking his mind off of it...
    OK enough theories from me.
    I love this. I missed my Nic/Josh interaction and now I have a week's worth. Sigh... life is sweet

    ReplyDelete